What's new

What's a good HDTV Monitor for $2000 or less? (1 Viewer)

Jim Corbin

Auditioning
I've finally decided to make the jump and get an HDTV Monitor.
I can't spend much more than $2,000. What's the best TV for that kind of money? I don't care about size too much, but I'm hoping for something over 40 Inches. I'm mainly gonna use it to watch DVD's.
I've been looking at the Sony 46" and the 51" TV's, and the RCA's look nice, but I'm just not sure what else is out there, and what people like. Help! :)

RobertSing

Agent
The best advice I can give is to spend some time at the electronic store and compare. Once you have a model number in mind, you can search this forum and others and see what others have said. Keep in mind you'll almost always find people that love set xyz and people that hate the same thing.

I've been searching for a set in your price range, and I think I have landed on the 50H82, a 50 in widescreen from Toshiba. Looking at this set side by side with similiar settings, my wife and I thought it delivered the best picture. Also seemed like the best stretch modes. Should be around $1800 or so. I've also heard good things about Hitachi (I think they have DVI while the Toshiba's don't). They're more expensive. I didn't see any picture quality difference, but a lot of people swear by them.

Keep in mind it's difficult to compare apples to apples at the store. You have to tweak the contrast/brightness levels on each set to roughly the same value.

Just my opinion.

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Sony KP46WT500. The picture on digital cable is alright, DVD's are amazing, and high definition in unbelievable. It has some of the best stretch/zoom modes that I have seen. The only problem is that there is no built in HDTV tuner, so that's around another $600 or so for the tuner and an antenna, but well worth it. What ever TV you buy be sure to buy Avia and SPL meter (I'm assuming that you have surround sound).

Jim Corbin

Auditioning
Thanks for your help. I'm planning on going to a Circuit City and Best Buy this weekend and comparing some of the TV's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks