Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

the Masters on HDTV (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 06:49 AM

If anyone was wondering what all the fuss was about as faras HDTV programming was concerned, only needed to tune into yesterday's Masters golf tournament. You could see spike marks from the tower cam - even my wife watched because of the clarity.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   BrianAe

BrianAe

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 07:29 AM

Anyone that watched care to comment?

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 07:39 AM

Stunning, mostly due to the richness of the colors, rather than the detail or the 16:9 format.
¡Time is not my master!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   SteveA

SteveA

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:00 AM

The picture quality really varied a lot from shot to shot. Some of the cameras has very excessive edge-enhancement, resulting in thick blue haloes around all white objects.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:01 AM

I would have enjoyed it more if my reception would have been more stable (it kept fading in and out), but the local CBS HDTV feed has always been problematic, though I wonder if the higher temperatures had anything to do with my so-so reception. Every other HDTV channel was pretty rock solid.

As for the quality of the broadcast, it was pretty good and detailed, and you could definitely see a lot more putting green details (w/r/t undulations and grain of the greens).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 10:21 AM

They had 42 HD Cameras there....the lower detail shots with over-edge enhancement were 16x9 SD cameras.

I was astounded by the quality, nearly as much as I was with Mike Weir's performance. A cool customer. Posted Image

And, yes, my wife watched with me due to the clarity.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   PaulBoud

PaulBoud

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 10:55 AM

Is that where the blue halo came from? I thought I needed to do a convergence. The color's were outstanding. The detail was good but not the best i've seen.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 07:44 PM

The blue halo is introduced by edge enhancement combined with likely inferior imaging chips on the SD cameras. Its a common problem in digital imaging referred to as "Chromatic Aberration." This is one of the chief limitations of digital photography, by the way...

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:01 AM

It looked great. But the director was having a torrid all-weekend-long, used-up-two-boxes-of-condoms sex marathon with a lens flare. Yeah it looks kewl the first two or three times, then you realize that it is an intentional part of the shot composition.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#10 of 10 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 16 2003 - 01:10 AM

I enjoyed this year's HD broadcast much more than last year's, where CBS had a separate production facility for HD (including announcers). This year, viewers got the best of both worlds -- Augusta National's beauty shown in HD, and the excitement of the crowd roars, better coverage of the leaders, and field commentary. Last year's HD Masters sounded like it was being broadcast from someone's living room.