What's new

AMAZING Honda Ad (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
That's one cool piece of artistry.

Thanks for the article too (including the explanation for how the wheels roll UP), in this day and age I would have just assumed the whole thing was computer generated.

/Mike

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It's all coMpUtaR!!!11111

Actually that's one of the coolest commercials I seen, & it's in widescreen! When can we start seeing it on TV?

Thanks Jason!

Jason_H

Second Unit
I think it is actually running currently in Europe, but it should be spreading world-wide soon. Allegedly, if you live in the UK there is a number you can call and Honda will send you a DVD of the ad. Kind of like what BMW has done with their "movie" ads. I hope Honda of America does the same thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I really do find it hard to believe that it wasn't mostly digital. The cmaera moves and some of the elements (like the look of the water, the rotation of the first cog at the opening, the way the car's momentum at the end comes to a hault, the flight of certain objects) just screams digital.

Weird.

-Vince

Jason_H

Second Unit
I really do find it hard to believe that it wasn't mostly digital. The cmaera moves and some of the elements (like the look of the water) just screams digital.
Heh...read the article. I don't know why they would bother to make the stuff up. It would be too easy to discredit them. :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
That is just the coolest looking ad I have ever seen, what a job!! The car is also dam nice looking too!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I did read the article. I'm sure it's real- it just looks awful fake. While I'm sure they did the things they claim they did, there is nothing really "proving" it beyond an article sharing second hand stories.

I'd love to see some behind the scenes video of bad takes.

-Vince

Jason_H

Second Unit
Oops...I actually did see the article about the one effect they did, I meant to include that! Anyway.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
That was amazing! What wonderful kinetic art.

I read that "Cog" is based on "The Way Things Go", a 30 minute piece of kinetic art done by Peter Fischli and David Weiss. A university professor of mine showed the video to my class, and it was breathtaking!

You can see a clip of the piece that inspired cog (and buy a copy of it on DVD) below:

http://www.tcfilm.ch/lauf_txt_e.htm

Does anyone have any more info on getting a DVD copy of Cog? I'd really like one! Or, if the DVD isn't available outside North America, does anyone have a link to a high-resolution download?

Bob

MikeM

Screenwriter
That was really, really cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for the link...Rube Goldberg would be proud.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Why don't they bring a car that nice to Canada?? Instead we get a bland 4 door.

2 door looks good though!

Goo

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Well, the video I watched was pretty poor quality, but those wheels going up the ramp looked totally fake.

I'm betting it's "mostly fake".

Jason_H

Second Unit
Well, the video I watched was pretty poor quality, but those wheels going up the ramp looked totally fake.
From the linked article:

"At one point three tyres, amazingly, roll uphill. They do so because inside they have been weighted with bolts and screws which have been positioned with fingertip care so that the slightest kiss of kinetic energy pushes them over, onward and, yes, upward."

Lee L

Supporting Actor
The tire thing is probably the easiest part to pull off out of the entire setup. Just tape the weight up inside the tire, make sure the heavy spot is up top, bump it and boom, the tire will roll at least half way around.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
the way the car's momentum at the end comes to a halt

Look at the floor. There is something that the back wheel strikes that brings it to a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks