What's new

Help please in choosing A/V receiver? (1 Viewer)

John E Edwards

Auditioning
Hi there... Ok -- I've checked through the postings, but have yet to really come across my specific advice needs.
I'm revamping my system and want a new audio/video surround receiver... I've looked around and have narrowed it down, but now I'm stuck:
Marantz SR7300
Harman Kardon AVR525
Rotel RSX1055
NAD T572
and then there's an Arcom....

So -- which should I get? They're all around the same price -- $1200 or less. All have varying features. Which is a great brand? Which should I stay away from? Sadly -- for some reason, I'm not a big fan of Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo -- you can correct me if I'm wrong there -- it's more personal preference than anything else. I'm sure those are good machines too.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I'm running a full boat of B&W speakers that I like very much.
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks much.

John E Edwards

Auditioning
Ah... good point. Basically I want to have a receiver that does a good job of allowing me to watch DVDs with surround processing (dts, etc.) as well as listen to music...I listen to a lot of jazz, classical, and a bit of newer stuff, but nothing hard-edged. More often than not, I don't blast my stereo -- I live in a high rise condo building & neighbors would complain. I would, however, like some power on tap just in case I do get the urge to hear those complaints... like when I throw a party. What would also help is either a/b speakers so I can wire my living room with a couple extras (I currently have the stereo set up in my den), though this isn't essential.

I'd also like the receiver to last a while -- good quality but also in terms of longevity of technology -- if that's at all possible.

So -- what do you folks think? Thanks again...

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I can't speak from experience but I heard that the Marantz has problems with hiss in speakers. Do a search on this forum and you should find more info.

I hear older nad's and they sounded nice but didn't have PLII at the time so I skipped.

HK - well everyone right now seems to love them but if I recall certain models had problems.

Rotel - No local Hi Fi shops carry them so never hear them

Things you might want to consider: PLII, Pre-outs for adding an amp in the future,

John E Edwards

Auditioning
Thanks for the input folks. I ended up ordering the HK AVR525. I read quite a bit about the reports of Marantz hiss, as you mentioned, and figured that the HK would do me well.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
of your list:

Marantz SR7300
Harman Kardon AVR525
Rotel RSX1055
NAD T572
and then there's an Arcom....

the sr7300 is very nice, of hte major mass market brands, sony, yamaha, onkyo, denon, pioneer, etc, its what i would choose..

the H&K has a fan, but other nice features, plus i think you could probably get it under $800, you might be able to get 8000 for around $1200 if you try hard enough

the rotel i own, very easy to use, great support, good machine, the most expensive on this list, btw, rotel and B&W work together, they advertise together, etc..I don't think there is a formal connection, but if you look at rotel advertisements, they usually link it with B&W

as for the NAD, again a fan, in terms of price, the T762 is closer to the rotel, has more watts and an extra channel compared to the rotel...

as for the arcams, their receivers are a little long in the tooth, arcam is an excellent company, but their receivers are a little out of date...

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks