-

Photo
- - - - -

What if I am color blind?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:48 AM

I am partially color blind. Some shades of green I will mis-identify as blue (if it is more on the blue side) or tan or brown (if it is more on the yellow side). Grass green is no problem and fire engine red is not a problem. Purple is usually a problem for me, I will see it as blue most of the time. Primary colors are usually not a problem for me. The question is this, will I be able to use the Avia DVD to calibrate my set with my handicap?
"I reckon I'd like some of them french fried pertaters. Mm-hmm."
Karl Childers

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:58 AM

Greetings

In most cases, you should still be able to correct things until they match your own perception of what "correct" is.

Much of the work is light intensity based , not colour based.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 08:39 PM

Quote:
What if I am color blind?

To me it would appear that you qualify to be Head of Engineering at most of the TV manufacturers. At the very least, Video Product Manager, Television Group.

Congrats! :wink:
Michael Hamilton
The Real Picture
Scottsdale, Arizona

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 12:37 AM

To expand on what Michael TLV said, color calibrations are done by looking through colored filters. Ironically, when you adjust the color and tint controls, you can't see the actual color and tint you're adjusting. Through the filter, you make adjustments until certain areas on the screen are of equal intensity - NOT of equal color.

You shouldn't have any problem.

-ScottK

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:28 AM

Jim,
Sounds like you and I have the exact same color deficiency. As Scott said, color adjustments using Avia involve matching colored areas, not adjusting anything to a specific color. I have used Avia to calibrate all of our TVs including our 42" plasma and my wife (her color vision is perfect) thinks everything looks great.

Good luck,
Steve

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:32 AM

I've used Video Essentials to do this, and haven't had a problem. Convergence adjustment on the other hand is a bitch...

/Mike
/Mike

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 10:32 AM

Jim, I have the same issue as you and Steve, and have to agree with Steve. It's a moot point if you're using a calibration disc and filter. As a matter of fact, most men, whether they realize it or not, have this same color blindness, but to varying degrees.

I can tell primaries, but close shades throw me for a loop. I get lost on a beige, peach and pink if they are all the same intensity. Same with a dark purple, black and dark blue.