What's new

Watching Buffy and Angel in order (1 Viewer)

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but searching for buffy and angel seems to bring up most threads. My question is how to watch Buffy and Angel to catch the interconnecting stories. At the moment I'm going through it alternating episodes Buffy (season 4) then Angel (season 1) but it took over a week for Oz to go from Buffy over to Angel.

Also is it the same pattern for later seasons?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm guessing you mean season four of Buffy, but that's the general idea. I guess you slipped somewhere along the way, though -- the third episode of Buffy's fourth season ("The Harsh Light of Day") and the third episode of Angel's first season ("In The Dark") originally aired back to back on the same night, and since those are the episodes with the crossover you mentioned...

The fifth season of Buffy and the second season of Angel follow a similar pattern, with fewer crossovers. After that, there's no need to alternate unless you just happen to like watching that way.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Adam. You're right I did mean Season 4! Looking back on the listings, I somehow watched the "harsh light of day" as episode 2, Angel "lonely heart", "living conditions" as episode 3 then "In the Dark". I could well be wrong, but on the Region 2 box set menu I think this is how they were set out.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Curious,
Would the 4th sesason of buffy have something mentioned on the box or in one of the inserts, to let people know, who might not know this.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I'm surprised that Jeff Kleist hasn't replied yet.

This is from his review of angel on the digital bits

City of...
Lonely Hearts
In the Dark**
I Fall to Pieces
RM w/a VU
Sense and Sensitivity
The Bachelor Party*
I Remember You**
Hero
Parting Gifts
Somnambulist
Expecting
She
I've Got You Under My Skin
The Prodigal
The Ring
Eternity
Five by Five**
Sanctuary**
War Zone
Blind Date
To Shanshu in LA

* Episodes that lead into Buffy: The Complete Fourth Season
** Episodes that lead in from Buffy: The Complete Fourth Season

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
sounds like someone needs to compile a complete Angel/Buffy
"correct episode watching" list, so there won't be any confusion;)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
It's too bad Fox's releases of Angel and Buffy aren't closer together. It kinda defeats the purpose of crossovers if you have to wait 4-5 months to see the first half of it.

And if you think Angel Season 1 is bad, wait til you get Season 2. The "Fool for Love"/"Darla" connection will be completely lost on those who are seeing it for the first time, and even worse, the very last scene of the season finale gives away the ending to Buffy Season 5.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I actually just finished watching both seasons last month so here's a list of crossovers

The following episodes should be viewed in order for Buffy Season 5 / Angel Season 2

Buffy 5:7 - Fool For Love / Angel 2:7 - Darla

Buffy 5:14 Crush must be watched after Angel 2:11 -Redefinition

Buffy 5:22 - The Gift / Angel 2:22 - There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb

David Boreanaz appears in Buffy 5:17 Forever and Alyson Hannigan appears in Angel 2:17 Disharmony. Neither story is connected in any way and in fact unless you watch Angel 2:17 before Buffy 5:15 it almost seems in bad taste.

Angel 3:5 should be viewed anytime after the first few episodes of Buffy - Season 6. At this point Crossovers stopped until Buffy - Season 7 / Angel - Season 4. I won't list of them as they may be considered spoilers for people who don't or might not want to know

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, been caught up in work ;)

Basically if you want an easy to follow rule of thumb: Buffy Seasons 4/5 and Angel 1/2 should be watched in alternating order starting with Buffy, as they were originally aired.

Buffy 401/Angel 101, Buffy 402/Angel 102 and so on

I'd have to doublecheck air dates, there were some times when Angel was a repeat/Buffy new and vice versa.

Buffy 6/Angel 3 are totally clear of crossover issues, though it's looking like 4 won't be

Edit- Matt that would be 522 and 202 respectively, not 21

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Hi Jeff,

I you get a chance to read my post I think it's a pretty fair representation of how to go about watching the seasons in order.

I'm sure many people including myself dont really want to have to change discs so many times if they don't have to.

Matt

Thanks for catching that Jeff. I just woke up so i'm kind of suprised I got it listed at all. Usually it takes me all day to wake up. I've updated my previous post to reflect the change.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Adam but it was the Buffy menu that threw me and not Angel, as I watched Harsh light of day before living conditions, and I can see why! http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=3905 shows the Buffy Season 4 menu, and I can't believe anyone would design a menu system that goes Top left, Bottom left, top right, bottom right (rather than top left ,top right, bottom left, bottom right). Do the rest of the R2 DVDs follow this bizarre menu design?

Joel C

Screenwriter
Why is there a star next to "Bachelor Party"? How does that connect to a Buffy episode?

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
It's sort of a 3-part episode At the end of bachelor party Doyle has a vision of Buffy in danger. Angel then goes back to sunnydale to help followed by Buffy following Angel back to L.A.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There has been a crossover in Buffy season seven/Angel season 4 and maybe more to come. I'm not sure what order these will be though. We'll just have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks