What's new

Getting oil from Turkey (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
From Turkey Guts To Oil

Ignore the April 1st post date! It's not a joke! :)

I just picked up the May issue of Discover magazine. Apparently, a plant has been set up to turn just about anything into oil. It was set up right next to a turkey plant, so naturally turkey parts that aren't eaten are mulched then "cooked" a few times to produce oil, gas, minerals, and sterile water.

The process is called "thermal depolymerization".

"There is no reason why we can't turn sewage, including human excrement, into a glorious oil", says engineer Terry Adams, a project consultant. So the city of Philadelphia is in discussion with Changing World Technologies to begin doing exactly that.
The process is 85% efficient. 15 BTUs are needed to process 100 BTUs of feedstock.

Converting all yearly US agricultural waste into oil and gas yields an equivalent energy output of 4 billion barrels of oil. The US imports about 4.2 billion barrels of oil a year.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Anyways, you should run to your nearest supermarket and pick up this May's issue of Discover. If it is bogus, we'll read about it in a followup article in Skeptic magazine...they'll make perfect companion pieces. :)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Unlike other solid-to-liquid fuel processes such as cornstarch into ethanol, this one will accept almost any carbon-based feedstock. If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water.
This will revolutionize the mob hit business! :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that's what I thought too. :D

I think Kentucy Fried Chicken should give up the fast food business, and start making oil! Then they'll have a product that people will actually feel good consuming, instead of ralfing into the toilet. :)

Anybody know anyone who works at this plant? I'd like to know if this is for real.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

absolutely. If that were true it would be one of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind, certainly worthy of more fanfare than a footnote in Discover magazine :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, the article, at least, is real. And Discover generally doesn't go very far out on a limb in reporting such things. It may just be that Con-Agra has kept the whole thing secret until the plant's opening to protect its patents, and that the mainstream press is a tad busy with other things right now and hasn't picked up the story yet. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but not prepared to dismiss the story out of hand, as I would with "free energy" machines, perpetual motion devices, Bigfoot and Elvis sightings.

Regards,

Joe

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ah, thanks for the link Joe! When the story was posted on Slashdot, the article wasn't on Discover's website yet. Now everyone can read it!

It sounds very promising indeed.

"Liposuction for oil!" -- see, obesity can be good. You could keep your SUV running if you pack on the pounds! :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
At first I thought we were going to talk about getting oil from Turkey, instead of Iraq. As in crude oil. I just stopped by to see all the IBTLs.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
IBTL = In Before the Turkeys Land?

Charles, this thread really is about getting oil from turkey! Iraq, is that some kind of bird, like the Roc?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Another interesting application of this process would be destroying diseased livestock. The inventor and CEO claim that harmful microbes are utterly destroyed. I wonder if those horrible prion things that eat your brain can be delt with easily, without all that wasteful and stinky burning.

We could use a few of those plants up here in Alberta too. There is a hell of a lot of oil up in the oilsands (billions of barrels of oil yet to be tapped). Extracting the oil is very pricey with current methods.

I thought this thread was about getting oil from the country Turkey.
You can also get oil from country chicken too!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Putting live chickens into wood chippers is SICK. What's worse is that the article says the US Government gave the farmers permission!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Putting live chickens into a wood chipper is sick.

Putting 30,000 live chickens into a wood chipper is more than just sick.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I don't think I want to know how these "farmers" would have made chicken soup (if the chickens were not diseased).

The article said that the farmers wanted to kill the chickens because the chickens weren't giving enough eggs. Mrs. Tweedy would be proud!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks