What's new

Tosh. 50H12 vs. 50H82 . . . . What the?? (1 Viewer)

James Grasso

Agent
Anybody know why the Toshiba 50H12 has a higher MSRP than the 50H82? It sure looks like the 82 has a lot more features than the 12. I've been thinking about getting one of these two models and this is pretty confusing to me.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
James-

I just bought the 50H12 a couple months ago. As far as I could tell in my research, the two are the same, just one of those instances where they gave a different model number for a certain retailer or retailers. I could be wrong about that, but that was the consensus I found. Anyway, I can't imagine why there would be a price discrepancy between the two. I really have enjoyed mine so far. If I were you, I'd go for whichever one you can get a better deal on. In my case, I found both models available in town, both for about $1800, but the place with the 50H12 was throwing in a progressive scan DVD player, so that's the one I got. (The player, an Apex 2500, is terrible, though, even for free. It's collecting dust and I've gone back to my non-pro-scan Sony, which still looks better then the wretched Apex.) Hope this helps.

James Grasso

Agent
That's what I thought, that they were essentially the same model, but the 50H12 being the Sam's Club/Costco type model (since I have seen it on the Sam's website). How happy are you with this set? Any particular good/bad aspects of it? The only thing I'm particularly worried about is the problem with the red shading I've read about around here. (That and getting a set this big into the apartment complex where I'll be living ;) )

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not an expert like many on these boards, but to my eyes the set looks great. I have noticed the red... I've only seen it on DVD's when there's a fade to black and I've got my lights off... it's just a faint glow on the sides of the screen. I heard it may have to do with the proximity of speakers or audio equipment to the set, but I have space issues that make my current set-up necessary. It's never been a distraction to me, it is either gone or invisible when there's any actual picture being displayed.

On the picture quality of the set, all I can say is that I really enjoy it, and it certainly has the clarity to bring out the difference between a good DVD transfer and a not-so-good one. (Watching SW:Ep I DVD, I thought to myself: "Oh! So that's what edge-enhancement looks like!") Anyway, it does a good job of creating a "film-like" look in my opinion... I'd never go back to a regular TV. It does a good job on satellite viewing, too. Regular cable is, well, regular cable.

I put a lot of stock in opinions I'd read of the Toshiba's stretch modes, since other people in the house don't watch as many DVD's as I do. There's a really good stretch mode that keeps the middle of the picture as-is, and incrementally increases the amount of stretch as you get closer to the sides of the screen... it's really not bad for most 4:3 shows.

I can't comment on HD sources, since I have none available. I got mine for DVD viewing, and for that, it's aces, IMHO.

All my observations should be taken with this in mind... I've not gotten an ISF calibration yet, (which I intend to), and actually I haven't even gotten around to tweaking it myself with Avia. All I've done so far in the way of set-up has been to use the THX Optimizer, and it already looks darn good to me. Can't wait to see how good it CAN look when I get off my can and get busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks