What's new

Calling all Tiburon owners! Help me decide on a car... (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Hi all!

I need some help & opinions on this one. Right now I'm driving my 1994 Honda Civic Si Coupe, and although it's a great car it's getting old and will need replacing. I'm planning on buying a 2003 Hyundai Tibron this summer, and up until now was considering the GT model over the SE. Having done some research I'm starting to have second thoughts, and wanted some opinions on the choice I need to make.

Basically, I've compared the features the GT model offers over the SE model. Essentially, the features GT offers over the SE include:

- 2.7L V6 DOHC Engine (SE offers a 2.0L V4 DOHC Engine)
- Anti-Lock Braking System (Not available on the SE)
- Leather Interior (SE offers a standard Cloth interior)
- 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels (SE offers 16" Wheels)

The SE is $22,395 MSRP, while the GT is $25,795 MSRP, for a difference in price of $3,400 (Canadian).

I've never driven the GT (I drove my friends' SE, and loved it!!!), but I'm guessing in a more "fun" ride over the SE. The question is, are the 4 extra features listed above worth the extra cash? Does the V6 really make that much of a difference in performance over the V4? Is leather really preferable over cloth (hot in summer, cold in winter... and no seat warmers)?

I've got my heart set on the Tiburon, as I love the looks and the way the car handles. The only other issue I'm going to have will be with insurance, and I'm guessing it'll be cheaper for the SE over the GT for obvious reasons...

Of course, I'm planning on bargaining at the dealership as I'm not planning on paying sticker price, so that's the only variable I have to play with. Of course, whatever can be lowered on the GT I'm sure could also be lowered on the SE model.

So what's the scoop? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Moe.

Cam S

Screenwriter
The GT also has the option of a 6 speed tranny, which I have heard is a great tranny. I would really consider getting the GT model as it really isn't all that much more, but you'll be getter more in the end.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Man, those new Tiburon's are some slick looking cars. Their new body design is much better than their previous design.

I'd recommend the GT. You'd definitley enjoy the SE but there'd always be that gut feeling of what you're missing out on.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
The GT also has the option of a 6 speed tranny, which I have heard is a great tranny.
I've heard the same, but the 6 speed is only available on the GSR version, which is one up from the GT... and it's about $3,000 more expensive. As of this year, I think they've eliminated the GSR, and introduced a "special" 6-speed model called the "Tuscani", which only comes in yellow and without the rear-wing. I'm not crazy about yellow cars (I plan on getting a black Tibby), and I'd want the spoiler to add to the aesthetic look of the vehicle. I've also heard that the 6th gear is really only good as a fuel saver...

I know that if I got the SE, I'd always be asking myself how much nicer the GT would have been... but I'd also probalby be asking myself what else I could have spent the $3,400 on. :)

Moe.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
nevermind, those must be in canadian dollars
Hahaha ... when I saw those prices, I was thinking the same thing. Hyundai's got real expensive. I was about to suggest a 350Z base for the same price :)

But in all seriousnes Moe, the Tiburon is a sleek looking car and I am sure it performs well. The only thing that bothers me is the brand it falls under.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Please be aware that Tiburon's insurance in Canada is extremely high (higher than Accord V6 coupe) due to its highest theft rate in 2002.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Much to the surprise of many in the auto industry, Hyundai was among the best of the 2002 brands -- "a striking turnaround from its poor showing 10 years ago," according to Consumer Reports.

The magazine's readers found 11 problems per 100 vehicles for Hyundai's 2002 models, putting Hyundai in the No.2 spot right alongside Japanese automaker Honda in the current rankings. Toyota, as usual, held the top spot in the Consumer Reports survey.
I'm planning on a Tib later this year, as well. Might wait until the '04 model is out and see what's what...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
$18.5k usd is a killer price for that kind of styling & warranty, but I wish they'd up their V6 to at least 3.0L. 170hp is kinda low, my 1990 Maxima makes 160...

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Please be aware that Tiburon's insurance in Canada is extremely high (higher than Accord V6 coupe) due to its highest theft rate in 2002.
I've heard about this, but haven't heard any figures as to what the actual rate might be. I'm a 27 year old male with no accidents on his record, so I'd hope that it wouldn't be THAT bad.

Moe.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Brent,

I got some quotes from the link you posted...

-1994 Honda Civic SI: $1713
-2003 Tiburon SE: $2629
-2003 Tiburon GT: $2527

The quote for my civic is about $100 more than I'm currently paying (I'm with Western assurance)... and I'm surprised that the cost of the SE is higher than that of the GT. How's that possible?

Damn insurance companies...

Is there a better site for Canadian quotes?

Moe.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
just make sure you just don't go with an insurance company just because it's cheap.

BTW, how come the insurance is so low? I'm paying about $2200 for my 2003 1.8T GLS 4-door Jetta

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Moe, I don't know if you've stumbled across The Hyundai Connection in your research, but I would hope that the members of their forum would be able to answer most of your questions. It's been a while since I've been there, but I seem to recall a fair amount of Canadian posters. I also remember the "most stolen car across Canada" statistic coming up well before 2002, so perhaps the Tib holds that hono(u)r for multiple years. ;)

I own a 1998 and love it. I just passed 116,000 miles, and I've had to do nothing but regular maintenance, aside from one recall notice involving a tangled seat belt. I'm strongly tempted by the 2003, but I'm also not anxious to take on a car payment again since the '98 is paid off and still runs extremely well.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Since we are talking about HP, then you may want to consider 2003 Jetta 1.8T. It's a 180 HP turbo engine which yield 174 lb.ft. of torque at 1950 rpm.

Yes it's not sporty looking, but the kick is more than nice and will surely beat the many cars (which usually rated its maximum torque and HP at 6000+ rpm).

Also the fuel economy is not worse than a regular 1.8 1999 Mazda Protege I used to own.

Oh yeah, it comes in either 6-speed manual or 5-speed Tiptronic.

But for the looks. Tiburon is SWEEEEET!

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
You should post these questions here. They will probably know much more about all of them...

Still think you should look at some other cars though... Acura RSX maybe....? 160hp in base model with 5 speed or auto, cloth or leather, 200hp in type-s with 6speed manual only, leather only, both come with sunroof, automatic climate control, 4-wheel ABS, front & side airbags.

AjayM

Screenwriter
I own a 2003 Tiburon GT, I bought it last Sept and have put about 8-9k miles on it (my commute was horrendous for the first 5-6 months). I've had 0 problems with the car, fuel economy isn't the greatest (middle/upper 20's is about the average, and that's with a higher paced freeway commute).

I like the styling, it handles well, it's comfortable to be in, has a decent stock stereo and the V6 has more than enough power to get you in trouble. And more importantly the power is usable and much more "torquey" than any normally aspirated 4-banger I've ever driven.

If you look at the price of the car, it's hard not to look at it. I bought mine for $18k which is probably a good $4-5k cheaper than what you could get the RSX Type-S for.

Andrew

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
If you've got your heart set on the Tiburon, here are my two cents:

- 2.7L V6 DOHC Engine
This means more power and a smoother delivery of it. Also, the engine won't be working as hard and will therefore last longer than the IV (there is no V4). The downside is that the IV probably has better fuel economy.

- Anti-Lock Braking System
Generally speaking, ABS is good to have.

- Leather Interior
There are plusses and minuses to leather and cloth interiors. Leather looks better and is easier to clean and keep clean, but cloth wears better and can be more comfortable.

- 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
Larger wheels will make the Tiburon handle and look better.

Personally, I would go for the GT considering the minimal price increase. That said, I think you should look at the Acura RSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks