What's new

Odd SimCity 4 Problem... (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I got SimCity 4 a few weeks ago. Once I installed it everything seemed to work fine...except for the disasters. When I created a natural disaster such as a tornado, for example, it keeps automatically freezing every 1.5-2 seconds until the disaster has finished its course. I'm sure it's not my system as my specs are well above the minimum system requirements. Current system specs are:

1.5 GHz Athlon XP Processor
512 MB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 64MB SDR Video card
SoundBlaster Audigy MP+ soundcard
30 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD (2.5 years old)

I even downloaded (and installed) the software update and the problem still persists. Anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this problem?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall SC4 having some sort of issue with Radeons, but honestly can't recall what it was. I want to say it was related to text displaying correctly, though...

Current drivers for all the hardware?

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Joel- Yup...all current WinXP drivers for all the hardware are there.

Does anyone else have specific information regarding the SimCity 4 problems w/Radeons?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I would say your system meets the minimum game requirements, but not the reccomended.

The issue your having sound like either the video card, or system memory. I'm running a 128 DDR Radeon (8700 I believe) and have never had graphics problems.

I would say stack up on more RAM. If your only have 512MB your system probably uses close to 100MB just running your basic background programs.

If you have a really big city does it slow down as it gets bigger. If so I would say this is definatly a system memory issue.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
The game runs like a dog. Especially when your city gets huge. Also you need to try the patch to fix the radeon problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks