What's new

Is the Anthem AVM-20 garbage? My dealer said so. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Ja

Agent
Now listen Anthem people I'm just the messenger lower your flamethrowers. I went to a dealer today in the metro Detroit area because I thought they sold Anthem products because they carry the Paradigm studio line. Well I go to audition the Anthem AVM-20, because all I have heard is rave reviews about them, but to my disappointment they did'nt carry it. The reason the salesman told me they don't carry them is because Anthem is not a very reputable company, that the company has changed hands with various owners over the years, and that "we would never sale such garbage material". Garbage Material? He then went on to tell me how much better Aragon products were over Anthem. He said aragon puts more into research, they are more reliable, blah,blah,blah... If I had a laptop with wireless Internet connectivity I would have posted from the store. I just want an upgrade from my Denon 3802 and Anthem sounds like the way to go. I have used this store for some time, I usually respect their opinion, but this just blew me away. With that long thread I know all you guys can't be wrong, and damn near every publication. I will still find a dealer to audition the anthem but I would like your input. Did he just want a sale or is there some truth to this?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I don't own either Amthem or Aragon but that is not a dealer I'd trust too far. If you have to say something bad about someone else's product to sell yours, then you're in the wrong business. I buy supplies for the office where I work and if a salesperson bad mouths another product line or company, I never buy from them again.

IMO, sell your own product. Let it swim or sink on it's own merits. If you're selling the right one (and doing a decent job of it), customers will figure it out...

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Sounds like the usual bash what they don't carry and praise what they do. Anthem makes quality products and the AVM-20 is definately one of them.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the sound and feature set of the AVM-20. To say that Anthem puts out garbage and does not stand behind their products however clearly shows a lack of knowledge of the company and/or a deliberate attempt to mislead, not to mention disrespect for their customer in either case.

A first hand audition and inspection of Anthem products will convince you of the quality of parts and construction. A review of comments by owners, here and at other forums, speaks volumes as to the support of their customers by Anthem. As to the sound of the products, only you can decide.

Find another dealer in Detroit, or cross the river into Canada. Let us know what you think of your dealer and the pre/pro after you have "kicked the tires" of an AVM-20.

Wayne

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The dealer mentality is (rightly so) "if I can't sell it I'm not making any money therefore everything I don't sell is crap"

The problem is when they take that attitude to their clients.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Dealers lie like rugs. Reminds me of when I once bought a Ford and the lady who sold it to me badmouthed Chrysler products. A few years later I ran across her at a local Chrylser dealership and wouldn't you know it, she was badmouthing Fords and the rest. Said she'd never work for a company whose products she didn't believe in.
If you like it and it meets your needs, buy it.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
It goes back to the old joke:

How do you know a salesman is lying? When his lips are moving.

I have dealt with many dealer before and most will badmouth their competition. But usually when you get into that price range, they do not call it garbage, they just say theirs is better and make up some phony reason. I would stay away from that dealer.

Also, sonic frontiers was only sold once. The Anthem line is new for them after Paradigm bought them. I don't know about this changed hands so many times. Just never go back.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
another variation of that joke is "What's the difference between an audio saleperson and a used car salesperson?" The used car saleserson knows when he's lying....OK, you guys selling audio...relax :)

gregD

Second Unit
if there's any justice at all, that low-rent "salesman" won't last another month there. I hope his attitude doesn't reflect that of the store as well - it sounds as though you've felt comfortable there otherwise. I'd have no qualms about ratting him out to management, or at least asking for another salesperson to discuss the Anthem.

You should get some genuine cooperation if you're gonna throw $2-3k at a pre/pro.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Partick-

Yeah, the Dealer is BS'ing you, but you knew that!

As far as Anthem & Aragon, both make excellent products and I would highly recommend chucking that Denon and replacing it with a quality Pre/Pro like the Anthem or Aragon (but don't use that dealer). The principle difference between the two is a basic disagreement in design philosophy. Aragon goes for the “clean” approach, some call it minimalist (ie. They don’t clutter the front of the unit with a lot of extra buttons and indicators). Anthem, takes the opposite approach, almost every feature is accessible from the front of the pre/pro plus they regularly offer user upgradeable firmware (a BIG plus, IMHO). Like I said, either one would be nice it’s really a matter of taste and some system synergy.

I looked seriously at the Anthem, but ended up getting a new Acurus ACT-3 for dirt cheap and had it upgraded (which makes it very similar to the Aragon Stage One just without THX & Pronto Neo remote). All I have to say is I LOVE IT….very nice and detailed sound. A lot of forum member had said that the Pre/Pro on the Denon wasn’t bad and could really benefit from a dedicated Amp. I got a Parasound HCA-1205A and there were subtle differences in sound, but not a drastic improvement. However, when I replaced the Denon as the Pre/Pro with the Acurus….now that WAS a huge difference. So find a way to get rid of that Denon :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

-Dave

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Patrick,

An Aragon dealer, huh? You do know that Klipsch now owns Aragon, don't you? Not that this is a bad thing, but if this dealer's criteria is not having been sold to another company, then Aragon is no better.

Anyway, avoid the AVM-20. It is garbage. I am not sure why anyone would want to purchase one. ;) /sarcasm

Michael
AVM-20 owner

James Edward

Supporting Actor
These salespeople should do a little survey for themselves and see if anyone actually buys from them after they give their "that equipment is garbage" speech.

In looking for various equipment, I have been told that my PSB Stratus Golds "aren't very good for the money", and that my Adcom separates were "no better than any decent receiver." Both times the salesperson hung their head as if I told them someone died. That gets me enthusiastic...

Do they really think comments like this, and stating that Anthem is a bad company, will help them sell their product line? I would rather buy from a salesman that acknowledges that there is other good equipment beside what he has in his showroom. At least that shows some sense.

Patrick,

Just take a drive over to Windsor and visit Live Wire. Here is the address for their web site www.livewireaudio.com there is a map with directions on how to get there. Great store with great service, not to mention the fact that you would save a ton of money with the U.S. exchange rate.

Pierre G

Auditioning
Anthem is garbage, Aragon also.

B&K Ref50 is garbage too.

If someone is selling any, send me a note.

Pierre G

Auditioning
The problem is, there are no dealers around for the stuff I'm interested in. But to give you an idea:

Before deciding on separates, I was interested in the Denon AVR-5803, there is a Denon dealer here, but in the western province, I am in the eastern province, that's a 2 hours flight. The Denon dealer is selling the Denon AVC-A1SR (which is the AVR-5803 version over here) for 4500$ after discount. So it's way more expensive. I bought my Sony STR-777ES for 4200$ 3 or 4 years back. The speakers that I bought though, are much cheaper that the country of origin, I got my Jamo D 7PEX (5 mains, 2 surrounds, and one sub) + an additional sub for 6700$ while it's 9000$ anywhere else, Denmark, UK....

I decided on the B&K Ref 50 and B&K 200.7, for the simple reason that it's multi voltage 110~220v and most importantly multi cycle 50~60 Hz, which is important for someone outside the US. I need someone reliable to sell me the B&Ks for a good price, I have an address in New York, I need the Ref 50 to be new, but wouldn't mind a used 200.7. I have a source now and I'm satisfied with the prices he gave me.

It was a close call between the Ref 50 and Anthem AVM 20. I ruled the Aragons (Stage One & 2007 Combo) out because of the lack of balanced connections.

Harley Davidsons are much cheaper here.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the insight. It's always interesting to me to hear about these things from people in other countries. FWIW, I don't think the B&K uses a true differential design but a nice product nonetheless and as you said, the voltage flexibility is quite a boon. Best of luck to you over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks