What's new

Amps in general (1 Viewer)

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was all set to go to a higher line receiver (vsx 45tx), but the idea has come across me to buy the 300 pio d912k, and put the rest of the 800 allocated $ towards a used amp. (so 500 USD).

My questions:
With the Pioneer as a pre/pro, would I be able to set up a 2 channel amp for the mains and still have a 7.1 system? Or should I even be looking at 5 channel amps.

Would I be able to listen to 5 channel stereo or the likes for music with a two channel amp?

What brands should I be looking at used...?
I had an old Carver and really liked it in my room..
or Parasound, Adcom, Acurus, etc etc.
My budget is about 600 for the amp.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to mention I've got Klipsch Ref. 3II all the way around, and synergy surrounds as 6 & 7 in the back, plus a SVS 2231 PCi.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Chris,
With the "pre out" jacks on the Pioneer receiver you mentioned you can connect to an outboard amp for mains. However, you will then have two channels of amp in the receiver that are not used. I don't believe the receiver has the capabiliy to "reconfigure" and use those amps for, say, extra surround channels.

By the way, that receiver is 6.1, not 7.1. They will allow you to connect two rear speakers to the single rear output, but it't not true 7.1.

As far as used amps for $500... there are several Adcom models that you can find in that range. I've currently got a bridged GFA555 (600W) for one of the subs. I've also had good luck with Parasound. I'm not a big fan of Carver amps... although Bob Carver's much earlier Phase Linear amps (400 and 700) were pretty robust.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting... something to think about.
Thanks.
I also assumed you wouldn't be able to just plug in the rear surrounds into any old channel and have it work like it is supposed to because of the decoding.

I had about 800 alloted for a receiver, but I feel like my money will be better spent using outboard amps.
With that receiver, would I have the capability to use a 2 channel amp, and a 5 channel amp?

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at the Parasound 855 which is 85x5.
Does anyone know of a cheapo 2 channel amp. within 200 dollars please, that i can use to drive the rear surrounds?

Also, with a 5 channel amp, can you listen in 2 channel stereo mode still?
Thanks,
Chris

DanaA

Screenwriter
I think you'll like the Parasound 855 and, yes, you can still listen to two channel stereo. As for two channel amps, there are plenty that can be had for a good price, but I'm going to leave the recommendations to others in that I don't personally have experience with any of them.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Chris,

If you get the 885, use it to drive your mains, center, and rear centers. Let the pioneer drive the rears...the receiver should be fine driving two speakers.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem with that is that it is only a 6.1 receiver.
Darn it. Maybe I'll just get the 45tx and save up a while for a nice 5 channel amp later.
Thanks

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Chris,

To my knowledge, unless a receiver has Logic7 or THX Ultra2, the rear centers are really not 7.1, but 6.1 with dual mono rear centers. To this end, as long as the receiver has preouts for the rear center channel, you would split this preout into two signals, which would be connected to the two amp channels driving your two rear centers.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky, I was under the impression that the 45tx had its own 7 channel configuration, obviously not as good as Logic7, but along similar lines.

If not, then what would be the purpose of having 7 amps internal as opposed to 6 with the mono signal for the rear?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

Um, why exactly do you want an external amp for speakers with a 98dB sensitivity rating?

And before you get caught up in the 7.1 hype, I would suggest you find a dealer or friend that has this system and see if it is truly worth all the extra wiring, speakers, and $$$ etc. over a 5.1 system. I did and personally speaking, it sounded no better than a 6.1 system. And for me, a properly placed 5.1 system sounds great. I just don't believe movie directors are going to put extremely detailed effects behind you to where you need FOUR rear channels to reproduce them correctly.

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks