What's new

Samsung SIR-T151 Help (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I went into a local WIZ store that was going out of business, and made an impulse buy. They had one Samsung T151 HDTV decoders on sale for $269. With 75% of the store already empty, and only one of these left (new in the box), I decided to but it. When I got home and was all excited about having HDTV finally for my Toshiba57HX81, became very surprised at what I learned: No feed for DIRECTV! I knew when I purchased it, that it didn't have a DIRECTV built in capability, but thought it would just require it to be hooked up to my Sony SAT-T60 DIRECTV box. No such luck. After reading up on the SIR-T151, I found that it was just for local over the air broadcasts. Man was I pissed. All sales were final: No returns!
Is anyone using this set? Is it worth keeping? I can't believe a normal antenna hooked up to this is going to get me a great High Def. Picture. I don't want to go through the hassle of putting up an antenna if it's not going to look that great. If that's the case to E-bay it goes! If you are using it, do you rec. any certain antenna for it? Esp. if you currently have DIRECTV.

Thanks for any advice.......

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the 151 is strictly an OTA receiver. It receives ONLY digital broadcasts, up to and including HDTV.

I can not advise you on an antenna. That depends where you live. Go to titantv.com where you can enter your zip code and get antenna data for your location.

There are some users that can get great reception with a cheap pair of rabbit ears, others may need an outdoor or attic (that would be me) antenna.

With digital, you either get a picture or you do not. And, assuming you have a TV that can accept wide band component inputs, the picture can be stunning.

Since I have had the 151, I have watched the Superbowl, the Grammy's, The Oscars, various network series, and now the Masters in HD (and I hate golf!). Awesome PQ.

Its your call, but there are no PQ issues with the box, although there may or may not be reception issues depending on where you live.

BGL

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's old school thinking but when I think over over the air free TV, I can't help but expect fuzzy, static, picture clarity. Just thinking back to those pre-cable/sat days when your kept having to move your antenna (rabbit ears) around to get only a sub par picture.
After having DirecTv, I am expecting perfect digital quality and was hard pressed to believe over the air free tv broadcasts can deliver the same quality with the Samsung High Def. decoder.
I guess I have to purchase a High Def. antenna and give it a try. Thanks. Anyone else out there using the SIR-T151?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the 1st Hi-Def stuff available in the USA has been OTA free, not satellite.

No need for a magic HD antenna either. I have a Radio Shack VHF/UHF deal, about $35 sitting in my attic.

Like I said, go to www.Titantv.com where you will be able to tell what you need.Assuming there are OTA stations in your area doing HD, you will be stunned at the PQ.

Good luck.
BGL

SeanA

Second Unit
I just hooked up the Samsung SIR-T151 to my indoor antenna. I am receiving all the available HD stations in my area, except one. And this one station, Fox, is putting out such a weak signal that very few people receive it... even those with outdoor antennas.

With HD, either you get the signal or you don't... and if you do get the signal, it is as good as digital cable or satellite. I love the performance, and the icing on the cake is it is FREE !!!

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
I am receiving all the available HD stations in my area, except one. And this one station, Fox...
Just to clarify, while Fox does broadcast digitally, they do not broadcast high definition. they have chosen to use 480p, not 720p or 1080i, the only two high def formats of the eighteen possible.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, while Fox does broadcast digitally, they do not broadcast high definition. they have chosen to use 480p, not 720p or 1080i, the only two high def formats of the eighteen possible.
And, not all Fox affilates choose to pass that along. I would be happy to just get Fox in 480P WS, but my local outlet passes out a bogus upconverted 4:3 image.

BGL

SeanA

Second Unit
And, not all Fox affilates choose to pass that along. I would be happy to just get Fox in 480P WS, but my local outlet passes out a bogus upconverted 4:3 image.
The Fox station here in Milwaukee is like most others and only outputs 480p. But I would be happy to get that period, whether it be 16:9 or 4:3. (I thought only 720p or 1080i could be widescreen though).

I hope the local Fox station fixes their weak signal soon. I will miss the NASCAR broadcasts, and even more, I will miss the Packer's games in the fall if they don't do something about their weak signal. :frowning: Actually, I will work out a way to watch the Packers in non-digital if it comes to that.

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if I can use a multiswitch using DirecTv, and take one of the feeds to use the Sat dish to grab the locals? I would hate to have to run another wire to my TV. I already run 2 for the dual tuner Tivo.....

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
That would be a diplexor.

One needed where the sat feed and the antenna feed come together, and another where they split at the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks