What's new

Tempest Sub Finished (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
I finally finished my 122L sealed Tempest. I had someone else cutting the MDF panels for me in someone else's woodshop, which resulted in considerable delay. Got the panels a week ago and put the cabinet together last weekend and have been priming, sanding and painting with Rustoleum hamered black finish. Put four inch "table" legs on the bottom that I spray painted chrome. My wife loves the look. Hopefully I'll get some pictures of the finished product up.

I got to say this thing is huge. I cannot even imagine putting one of the bigger ported alignments in my room (19 x 19 with 8.5' ceiling). And the amount of bass it puts out? As our New York friends might say forgetaboutit. I put on the Ice Ring scene from Titan A.E. and promptly was scared that something was going to break in my room! :D I have one of my computers hooked up to to my system as well through an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and listening to Tommy James and the Shondells Crimson and Clover and Draggin the Line was shaking room. Wow!

Next step: BFD!

RyanA

Auditioning
That sounds awesome!!! I have been thinking about building one myself, im just deciding if i have the money. How much did yours cost u in the end?

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
That sounds awesome!!! I have been thinking about building one myself, im just deciding if i have the money. How much did yours cost u in the end?
Well, the driver was $150. I got a dual input cup for $9. I purchased t-nuts and bolts along with "sealent" for the driver from PE for around $8. Two bags of polyfill for a total of $5. Legs were a total of $10. Two cans of Rustoleum Black Hammered Finish paint was $9. One can of chrome spray paint was $2.50. $1.74 for a package of female spade connectors.

The guy who cut the panels hasn't given me a price yet (he may not since he's my daughter's boyfriend - nice to keep the pop in good with you! :D ) I already had flat black primer on hand along with 12g Soundking cable for the interior and exterior wiring as well as other cabling to hook up the amp. Also, I'm using an old H/K integrated amp for the power (one channel driven per voice coil - probably 80 to 90 RMS per channel) that I had on hand.

So, right now without the cost of MDF (and all he did was cut rectangular pannels. I did all the other cuts - i.e. circles, braces, etc.) the total is right at $195.

Eventually (or not so eventually) I'll add a BFD and probably a different amp (leaning toward a pro power amp) with more power.

At any rate, for comparison, in '98 or so I bought a Klipsch 12" 250 watt powered sub (can't recall off-hand the model number) for $375, which I thought was cheap then. This thing, as one might assume, simply blows that Klipsch into kindling both in extension and quality of bass.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Great job Jonathan! I especially like the feet! Enjoy your new toy. Oh, and what project is next? You do know you can't stop with just one, right? :D

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately my next project will not be Hi-Fi or HT oriented, but involve continuing to replace the old siding on my house (its the kind that starts to crumble after 10 years or so). I've gotten two walls done and now that the weather is better, I'll be working on the back wall next, including replacing three windows and a sliding glass door. :frowning:

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Just a little heads up, you might want to move it away from that computer. Magnetic fields, especially strong magnetic fields from large subs do not bode well with computer HD's or much else inside that case.

Ken-Ha

Grip
Hello, all. I am thinking to build a sub with EZSUB14, Shiva 12" and a SUB100 Amp as suggested by CSS website. What else parts do I need to complete this project? The cost for the 3 items above is about Can$495. Is it worth it?
Note: I have no experience in building any speakers.
TIA

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
What is the name of the Walmart stuff? It is a lot cheaper than the PE 260-317 which is 1lb for $9.75.
Yep. Now I can't attest to this myself, but others with a lot more experience have said getting regular "hobby house" polyfill was just as good as the "acousta stuff" stuff. :D

I can't remember the name of it, but its a "loose" polyfill and has a picture of a Raggedy Ann doll on the front. Don't buy the stuff that comes in "bats" (Sp?) or rolls, but is like a clump - if you get the picture. Its what you stuff sofa pillows with. It will say "polyfill" on the package. Oh, its located in the fabric/sowing/craft area. In my Wal-Mart its on the back wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks