Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Entire Home Theater Setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin Abp

Kevin Abp

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 09:23 AM

hey guys, my aunt and uncle asked me about recommending a home theater system for them today (receiver, speakers, cd changer, anything else they'd need) They're looking to spend about $1000-$1500.

Hifi buys recommended to her:
Denon DRA685 Receiver
MLES 6-way Selector
5 disc cd changer
Boston DSI460 In Wall Speakers
SVL1 Tabletop Volume
Volume Control VCS2dW
VoyagerPro Outdoor Speakers

I really don't know much about this and this is all the information I have

If anyone could make some comments or recommendations about what to buy or where to buy I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill Kane

Bill Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 12:29 PM

Kevin, it's hard to know what to say here...I think there's more backstory we dont know. Are you relatives older, lo-tech folks? Do they want a true home living room/den/basement system?

First, that Denon is a 2-chl stereo amp. There is no mention of a DVD player and the desire for HT DVD movies and surround sound speakers. All these volume controls? What are they for?

This sounds like some vacation home system, not a true home theater system. So what gives?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin Abp

Kevin Abp

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 02:08 PM

Hey, thanks for the response.

They're in their 40's and are fairly lo-tech people. They already have a nice dvd player, and it sounds like this isn't a good receiver for them. I'm not quite sure what the volume controls are for but the people at hifi-buys said they would be needed to transmit the sound to outdoor speakers.

Thanks again for the help.

-Kevin

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Barry BB

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 03:42 PM

Looks like you are talking about two different things here. You say that they want a home theater system yet the recommended equipment is a 2 channel receiver plus stuff that they need for outdoor speakers? For home theater you need an a/v receiver, minimum of 5 speakers, and a subwoofer.

Talk to your uncle and aunt and find out exactly what they are looking for in a system. Then come back here with some more specifics. You will get plenty of good help once we have a better understanding of what they want in a system.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:02 PM

i bet whoever recommended that setup is trying to route audio throughout the home and into the backyard. it doesn't sound like a home-theater setup...more like "music around the house" kind of stuff.

i'm not familiar with that gear, but if that is the intent (music around the house), then it seems like a decent setup. they appear to have paid attention to the ohm rating, etc.

however, if the intent is ht, then they better start from scratch.