Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is this normal tube tv sounds?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 10:10 PM

I recently bought a Hitachi 36udx10sa, which is a tube tv and notice there is a slight buzz/hum sound coming from the back of the tube. It is not from the speakers. It is very low, I can't here it if I am in front of the tv even when the volume is off so it is not bothersome. But this is my first large tv and wondered how much sound is normal.

#2 of 6 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:02 AM

Bob, what you're describing sounds like the usual buzzing a transformer makes. It's perfectly normal. You say you can't hear it from the front—and that's just the way Hitachi's engineers intended it! Enjoy your new set.

#3 of 6 Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:19 AM

Thanks Jack, that is just what I wanted to hear.

#4 of 6 george_clark

george_clark

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted May 03 2003 - 12:54 PM

Bob;

I just saw the 36udx10sa and am considering buying it. How do you like yours? Any issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks

geo

#5 of 6 Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 12:28 AM

Geo,

I love mine. The only issue I had was the buzzing. A tech came out and said it was normal, and since then I hardly notice it. I just have really sensitive hearing. I'm using dish network as a source and it looks fantastic. It's not a flat screen, but this doesn't bother me. I bought mine from uecweb.com and for what I paid, I couldn't even have bought a decent analog set for the same price. Mine came with a small dent and scratch on the left side, which isn't even noticeable. I believe circuit city is running a special on them also. Any other questions let me know.

#6 of 6 george_clark

george_clark

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:24 AM

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your time to reply.

I've looked at several forums and user reviews of the 32UDX10s and the 36UDX10s. One issue that some people have is ghosting and pixel artifacts when viewing conventional NTSC analog signals such as from a broadcast antenna. Evidently, this is a problem with the upconversion from 480i to 480p. Have you seen this issue? If so, is it a big problem?

Thanks

geo