What's new

which is better? 8 ohms 1 kHz or 8 ohms 40 Hz-20 kHz? (1 Viewer)

drexel

Agent
Maybe a better question for me would be what is the difference!?! I purchased a KLH R-5100 receiver last week and... well... at least it lasted a full week. Earlier on today, since running some frequency tests off my computer using the NCH tone generator, its output has distorted bass, lowered volume, and overall poor sound. I was planning on trading it in tomorrow for the Kenwood VR-605, but it says at the best buy website (100 watts x 5, 40Hz - 20kHz @8Ohms) where as my KLH had (100 watts x 5, 1kHz @8Ohms)...

First of all, what's the difference? What does the blatant 1kHz mean compared to the 40Hz-20kHz range and which is better? Does the 40Hz bottom of the Kenwood mean that it will not be able to play as low of bass as my 1kHz KLH?

I was planning on picking up the Kenwood tomorrow... so if it's a lemon don't hesitate to tell me before I spend all my hard earned cashish on it! ;)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
The Kenwood is rated at full power whereas the KLH rates it at less than...a very misleading and devious method.
They don't even mention the frequency range.
Most decent receivers have a frequency range of at least 20-20000Hz, so the kenwood is fudging a bit also.
In that price range if I were you I'd shop around and find a deal on a Kenwood 6050. I was able to pick up an open-box for my mini HT for $209 at Circuit City. That one rates at 100x5 into 8ohms, 20-20000Hz @.09% THD.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A wattage rating at full bandwidth is a better spec, like the Kenwood is doing. A wattage rating at one frequency - 1kHz in this case – is an indicator of inferior equipment. It may indeed put out 100 watts per channel at that frequency, but output will be a lot lower when it is called to reproduce a wide bandwidth signal, which is more demanding.

That said, any self-respecting piece of audio electronics should have flat response from 20Hz to 20kHz. This is especially important for home theater because many movies, especially action flicks, have significant signal below 40Hz. A receiver that starts to roll out at 40Hz is loosing a full octave of bass information.

Personally I’d pass on both these receivers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

drexel

Agent
thanks for the advice... I was actually thinking it over last night while flipping through this week's best buy ad and decided I'd probably get the Kenwood 6050 since they're on sale for 250. - only 100 bones more than my KLH. I was searching through yahoo and I found a multi-user post complaining of high pitched static sounds when the surround sound was implemented anyway. What a piece... At least the speakers are really loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks