What's new

47" Panasonic Widescreen TV $999 at Fry's--is the TV any good? (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi. Don't know if anyone else saw this, but I want to know if this TV is any good. The flyer doesn't give a model number, but it says it's a 47", HD capable widescreen TV with 2 component video inputs (doesn't say anything about Firewire or DVI from what I remember). If anyone knows what TV they're talking about, is it any good? $999 is a pretty good price.

Clint B

Second Unit
Any ideas, folks? Sorry I can't be more specific about which TV this is. I don't believe this is on Fry's website, but the ad was in an insert today for the Dallas Morning News.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have the Panny PT-47WX49 and I love it. That said, Out of the Box performance is average. But it's a very tweakable set and has quite a web following for pro-users. Order the service manual from Panny if you buy this set.

Oh, and most good ISF'ers (esp. the ones that frequent the HTF and KeohiHDTV) really know how to tweak this set.

Bottom line, I had mine ISF'd by Michael Chen and it runs with most any RPTV in its size.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Clint ... sounds like a sweet deal.
Please let us know if you find out more.

I am in the market for a HD ready Widescreen set. Looking at 30" CRT's in that price range but I would go for that set if we had a Fry's in NYC.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
When I checked my local Fry's ad yesterday I was quite surprised to see a Panasonic 47" widescreen for $999. I am assuming this is the 47WX42 because what else could it be? I doubt its the WX52 but anythings possible. I've had the 47WX42 for several months now and I love it. It was a good deal at $1450 when I bought it and its an unbelievable deal at $1000.

You probably already know or can easily find the features of this TV so I'll just give you my impressions. The picture is very clean and detailed with a good signal. With reasonable brightness and contrast settings I don't even worry about burn-in when watching 4:3 sources with the grey sidebars. As with many other TV's you have to turn the color slider way down (6-7) to get a natural color saturation. The rest of the controls stay near 30 or so.

The negatives:
The remote is fine for what it is and certainly functional. But its not going to impress anyone. You'll likely choose to use some other universal/learning remote to control this TV.

No screen protector. That comes with the 47WX52. There is apparently a protector available from Panasonic but I haven't shelled out the $ for it yet. I'm considering though, since we'd like to have kids someday.

If you like to watch while standing up and less than 15 feet from the TV you'll probably find that the picture isn't bright enough at that angle. They really should have raised the screen another 4 to 6 inches. It would still have a decent picture for those sitting on the floor. Some marketing guy probably decided that wouldn't "look right". I'm building a 4 inch riser for mine.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
hmmm i just checked outpost.com and didn't see it there. i'll have to go there today and check it out. thanks for the heads up Ryan.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
well for that price i bought one. doing setup right now. doesn't look to bad right out of the box but we all know that can be improved. :)

i just got back from frys and i also bought one...had to have it delivered and only have to wait till wednesday..not too bad...cant wait!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I just clicked on it a second ago and got to the site...

(The link that I typed and that you quoted, just to check to see if I mistyped it). However my Internet Explorer knew to automatically put a "/" at the end of it, so that it's www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ so maybe that is a problem for some older browsers. Try that.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
heh, it works now clicking on your previous link. site must've been down. thanks for the link Carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks