What's new

Is Bruce Almighty the Jim Carrey comeback movie? (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I am not sure if most will consider him not being in the spotlight these days, but this movie looks to be the Jim Carrey that we all came to love and enjoy *well not all of us I suppose*.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I didn't finish watching The Majestic and prefer the animated How The Grinch Stole Christmas to the live action "The Grinch." For me his last good movie was Man On The Moon which, even though I had seen the Comedy Central special on Andy Kaufman numerous times and I can't stand Courtney Love, was made even better than it already was by Jim's most energetic and versatile performance to date. I'm looking forward to Bruce Almighty. The rubber-faced, hyper-active, insane Jim Carrey is still there. Let's see if he comes out to play.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally I loved the Jim Carrey featured in Truman Show and Man on the Moon. That showed signs of a great character actor in the making. I'm looking forward to Bruce Almighty, sure, as a fun afternoon escape. But let's hope this is only a minor deversion, taking some time out to have a little fun.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
He's still one of the highest-paid actors in hollywood, yet he's not made a good movie in ages... he's turning into John Travolta... made 2 good movies, then a slew of mediocre, but still demands a huge salary.

todd stone

Screenwriter
Joshua_Y: exactly.

his latest movies have been MEH at best. Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, now those are the movies we like from him.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well I thought Dumb and Dumber was hilarious. But after seeing a little bit of Bruce, he does act incredibly silly in a couple scenes. That kind of turned me off just a little, because it's supposed to be funny, but not over the top silly.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
What is going on with this movie. I remember seeing trailers for it in the movie theater long ago, possibly TV too, but it seems like it dropped off the face of the earth after that

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Todd,

why pigeon hole Jim like that? I WANT him to be bold and do drama, not just the same ol' shtick everytime. And yes, in my eyes he never left the scene, The Majestic was a fantastic film if people are equipped to get the material and what kind of film Frank Darabont was trying to make, and by equipped I mean able to put aside moderen day movie cynicism and understand that that film was about a totally different era. People say the love story is "too sappy" well guess what, so was From Here to Eternity! The now famous love scene on the beach in that classic is no different than anything we see in The Majestic.

Anyway, I love Jim in comedy as well, Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, The Mask and Liar Liar are all comedy classics now, but I don't expect him to do that all the time, to expect otherwise is more than a tad close minded IMO. He has it in him to be the next Tom Hanks, let's give him that chance shall we?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Comeback? More like fallback.

His last few dramatic films did medicore so he falls back on his tried and true schtick to increase his box office portfolio. Every actor does it, Jodie Foster in 'Maverick,' Jack in 'Anger Management.' Can't fault him for it but I would much rather see more like 'The Truman Show' out of him. Very much looking forward to 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.'

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Jim Carey will probably never be anything close to a Tom Hanks. He has already stereotyped himself with the American public. Every time I see him try to act serious I cringe because I keep expecting Lloyd to bend his legs behind his head and fart.

People just will not take him serious. Especially if he pops in and does one of these films every few years.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Hmmm...when did Hanks become an acting God? He is a genuinely likeable personality, and has a decent screen presence, but I think the fact that the Academy has rewarded him so much has warped everyone's mind a bit. Awards don't equal acting talent. He's a huge star now, but to me appears to be playing the same character over and over again in the last decade (everything he's made after Forrest Gump). Don't get me wrong, to do what Hanks has done is no small feat. Harrison Ford has the same charm and presence, but has never been regarded by most as a "great actor", and he's pretty much always the same guy in every film as well. The fact that audiences LOVE to see "that same guy" is a testament to how magnetic Tom Hanks, Ford, and even Tom Cruise, are for most viewers. But don't confuse that enigmatic quality with "great acting" because that's a whole other thing.

Great actors?

Alec Guinness
Peter O'Toole
Ian Holm
Anthony Hopkins
Ian McKellan
Michael Caine
Robert Deniro
Meryl Streep
Jodie Foster etc....

Great "stars"

Tom Hanks
Harrison Ford
Tom Cruise
Marilyn Monroe
John Wayne etc....

And to sum up, I think Carrey is in the same category of great "stars" above, not truly great actors though Carrey's talent also extends to perfect comedic timing & improvisation skills, in addition to a magnetic screen presence.

-Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks