Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Bruce Almighty the Jim Carrey comeback movie?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 09:58 AM

I am not sure if most will consider him not being in the spotlight these days, but this movie looks to be the Jim Carrey that we all came to love and enjoy *well not all of us I suppose*.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 12:05 PM

I didn't finish watching The Majestic and prefer the animated How The Grinch Stole Christmas to the live action "The Grinch." For me his last good movie was Man On The Moon which, even though I had seen the Comedy Central special on Andy Kaufman numerous times and I can't stand Courtney Love, was made even better than it already was by Jim's most energetic and versatile performance to date. I'm looking forward to Bruce Almighty. The rubber-faced, hyper-active, insane Jim Carrey is still there. Let's see if he comes out to play.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 11 2003 - 02:24 PM

Personally I loved the Jim Carrey featured in Truman Show and Man on the Moon. That showed signs of a great character actor in the making. I'm looking forward to Bruce Almighty, sure, as a fun afternoon escape. But let's hope this is only a minor deversion, taking some time out to have a little fun.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 04:59 PM

Comeback? When did he leave?

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 06:44 PM

Jeremy- That's the exact same question that popped into my own mind as I read that...

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted April 12 2003 - 12:02 AM

He's still one of the highest-paid actors in hollywood, yet he's not made a good movie in ages... he's turning into John Travolta... made 2 good movies, then a slew of mediocre, but still demands a huge salary.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 12:31 AM

Almighty Bruce: The Mask Part 2?

Phil

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 01:25 AM

Movie looks pretty hilarious if ya ask me...Carrey back to what he does best...

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 02:52 AM

Joshua_Y: exactly.

his latest movies have been MEH at best. Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, now those are the movies we like from him.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 03:13 AM

The rubber-faced, hyper-active, insane Jim Carrey is still there.

This is actually the Jim Carrey that I can't stand seeing anymore.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 10:22 AM

Well I thought Dumb and Dumber was hilarious. But after seeing a little bit of Bruce, he does act incredibly silly in a couple scenes. That kind of turned me off just a little, because it's supposed to be funny, but not over the top silly.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 05:53 PM

What is going on with this movie. I remember seeing trailers for it in the movie theater long ago, possibly TV too, but it seems like it dropped off the face of the earth after that
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 12:52 AM

Same old same to me. I did like the dog in the trailer though.Posted Image

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 13 2003 - 01:45 AM

Todd,

why pigeon hole Jim like that? I WANT him to be bold and do drama, not just the same ol' shtick everytime. And yes, in my eyes he never left the scene, The Majestic was a fantastic film if people are equipped to get the material and what kind of film Frank Darabont was trying to make, and by equipped I mean able to put aside moderen day movie cynicism and understand that that film was about a totally different era. People say the love story is "too sappy" well guess what, so was From Here to Eternity! The now famous love scene on the beach in that classic is no different than anything we see in The Majestic.

Anyway, I love Jim in comedy as well, Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, The Mask and Liar Liar are all comedy classics now, but I don't expect him to do that all the time, to expect otherwise is more than a tad close minded IMO. He has it in him to be the next Tom Hanks, let's give him that chance shall we?
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
He has it in him to be the next Tom Hanks, let's give him that chance shall we?

I think you went a little overboard right there Posted Image

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   JoeyPalmiotti

JoeyPalmiotti

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 05:23 AM

I can't wait for Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2003) Posted Image written by Charlie Kaufman! Score!

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 07:05 AM

Comeback? More like fallback.

His last few dramatic films did medicore so he falls back on his tried and true schtick to increase his box office portfolio. Every actor does it, Jodie Foster in 'Maverick,' Jack in 'Anger Management.' Can't fault him for it but I would much rather see more like 'The Truman Show' out of him. Very much looking forward to 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.'

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 07:30 AM

Quote:
he's turning into John Travolta... made 2 good movies, then a slew of mediocre

I would hardly say that 3 films classifies as a slew.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 09:00 AM

Jim Carey will probably never be anything close to a Tom Hanks. He has already stereotyped himself with the American public. Every time I see him try to act serious I cringe because I keep expecting Lloyd to bend his legs behind his head and fart.

People just will not take him serious. Especially if he pops in and does one of these films every few years.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 12:11 PM

Hmmm...when did Hanks become an acting God? He is a genuinely likeable personality, and has a decent screen presence, but I think the fact that the Academy has rewarded him so much has warped everyone's mind a bit. Awards don't equal acting talent. He's a huge star now, but to me appears to be playing the same character over and over again in the last decade (everything he's made after Forrest Gump). Don't get me wrong, to do what Hanks has done is no small feat. Harrison Ford has the same charm and presence, but has never been regarded by most as a "great actor", and he's pretty much always the same guy in every film as well. The fact that audiences LOVE to see "that same guy" is a testament to how magnetic Tom Hanks, Ford, and even Tom Cruise, are for most viewers. But don't confuse that enigmatic quality with "great acting" because that's a whole other thing.

Great actors?

Alec Guinness
Peter O'Toole
Ian Holm
Anthony Hopkins
Ian McKellan
Michael Caine
Robert Deniro
Meryl Streep
Jodie Foster etc....

Great "stars"

Tom Hanks
Harrison Ford
Tom Cruise
Marilyn Monroe
John Wayne etc....

And to sum up, I think Carrey is in the same category of great "stars" above, not truly great actors though Carrey's talent also extends to perfect comedic timing & improvisation skills, in addition to a magnetic screen presence.

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

Forum Nav Content I Follow