What's new

Here it is: The coveted upcoming Disney DVD release schedule! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bambi: Fall 2006 (Platinum)
Cinderella: Fall 2007 (Platinum)
Lady and the Tramp: 2008 (Platinum)
101 Dalmatians: Fall 2009 (Platinum)
The Jungle Book: Fall 2010 (Platinum)
The Rescuers: Coming Soon
The Little Mermaid: Fall 2005 (Platinum)
Aladdin: Fall 2004 (Platinum)
The Lion King: Fall 2003 (Platinum)

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:

Thanks. How firm is this schedule? Yes, I KNOW disney changes things at the drop of a hat! Any reasons you know of for the switches?

Thanks!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Why release The Little Mermaid before Bambi and Cinderella? The Little Mermaid has already had a DVD release, so its really lame, IMO, to have to wait an extra year for two classics that have NEVER been on DVD just for one of the Platinum re-releases. :frowning:

But otherwise :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Little Mermaid is getting an IMAX release next year, following Aladdin this year. Also, Tarzan is getting an IMAX release in 2005.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
For comparison, here is the previous schedule with old -> new for titles that changed. The new schedule is quite an interesting mix-up.

The Lion King 2003
Aladdin 2004
Bambi in 2005 -> 2006
The Jungle Book 2006 -> 2010
Cinderella 2007
The Little Mermaid 2008 -> 2005
Lady and The Tramp 2009 -> 2008
101 Dalmatians 2010 -> 2009

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Jungle Book is out. You don't have to wait 7 years. Go to someplace like Half.com -- they've got a million copies for sale for about list price.
Emphasis on the word "copies", as in illegal bootleg copies, I mean "Region 0 imports."

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Back when Disney first announced that some of their DVDs were going OOP I bought a handful of them cheap (about $14, except Little Mermaid which was free with Snow White) as an investment. Helps finance additional DVD purchases.

I recently sold my extra sealed Region 1 copy of "Jungle Book" for $70. The cheaper ones you see for sale are indeed usually imports or worse.

I'm still sitting on a Lady and the Tramp and a Little Mermaid, seeing if the demand increases. May have to unload Little Mermaid sooner than I thought.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm severely disappointed that I have to wait three and a half YEARS before I can add BAMBI (one of my all-time favorite animated films) to my collection. Here's hoping my crappy VHS copy will last that long....

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Are we sure Ron's is the new list? I have the exact same listed posted on another forums site that I posted way back on 10-06-2002. There have been no changes from that list, to the current list that Ron just posted.

As for Disney DVD releases, has there been any word on the Gargoyles (Animated Series) DVD that was scheduled for 2003? Ever since it was announced as coming in 2003 at the 2002 Gargoyles Con, I haven't heard anything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Best I can tell you is that this is a newly
presented list.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Thanks, Ron. Well, that in conjunction with the older list with the same info atleast points to these titles pretty much being set in stone now. Wish Bambi and especially the Jungle Book weren't so many years away. But atleast Lion King is coming this year to satisfy that need. :)

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I think it's f**king insane that we have to wait 5 years for a Lady and the Tramp special edition.

Disney, just release them all right now! Who cares about IMAX.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not just IMAX; indeed, the IMAX editions can be thought of as just part of the hype for these releases. Disney figures that releasing one per year, around the holidays, for a limited time, is the way to maximize sales for each specific title - based on consumer spending peaking then, having just one out will concentrate interest, and that the limited-time-only situation will get people who would otherwise put it off to buy it. You can only do this with a few evergreen titles, and the A-list Disney Animated Features are on that short list.

Plus, those Platinum Releases are far from half-hearted efforts; I certainly would believe that the prodcuers of the line work for the better part of a year on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks