What's new

Cool Album Covers (1 Viewer)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Hey there Y'all,

Had another idea for a thread.

A friend just sent me a couple of books on LP covers. The art work on many LPs is just incredible. Granted CDs have artwork too, but on a smaller scale. Sometimes that's what I miss most about LPs other than their superior sonic capabilities. ;)

So I'd like to know if there are any LP or CD artworks that really stick out in your brain. Shocking, beautiful whatever.

Simple and classic always do it for me. I know it's very cliche, but Dark Side of the Moon is still cool. Very timeless and striking.

Well, I'm going to take some time and think of some more, but let me know what you think in the meantime?

Also here's a link that my friend upkeeps on Album Cover Art:

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/coverart.html

check it out!

Peace, Rick

NP: World Without Tears - Lucinda Williams

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Some of my very favorites are:

King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King
Genesis: Nursery Cryme
Kiss: Destroyer
Nirvana: Nevermind
Beatles: Revolver

So many others.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've had some fun making covers, just as practice as I build skills. Here's my gallery of covers, which were sanctioned bootlegs of the musician Stuart Davis (they were ok'd by the artist). In fact making these got me a job later on with him!

My covers (including a couple bad ones)

Oh, PS, as you can see I'm more of an image editor; I'm not the photographer of any of it, and even some layout is from presskits and so forth. But pulling it all together into CD cover form is much fun (and very detailed work).

Tony Bucaci

Agent
On the conver you did for Stuart Davis' Nov 10, 1998 show at Scooter's in Minneapolis, I would have omitted the dot on the "i" in his last name. It kind of dusrupts the whole typographic feel for me. It's also not necessary. Otherwise they are pretty good.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Without a doubt, my favourite LP cover is the German version of "Lovedrive" by The Scorpions. This is the infamous bubblegum cover. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tony, and yeah, that's a pretty huge dot on the eye but I was using the typeface from the magazine ad so I wanted to stay true to what they were comfortable with.

As for favorite cover art, U2's All That You Cant Leave Behind is exceptional in my book.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Too many to list....

Some of the simple ones I think are best..How about DSOTM..seems everyone knows that one...

Here's a fav...

It's a Beautiful Day.....

and how about Wishbone Ash...Argus?

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Another one of my favorites is the Led Zeppelin box set cover showing the shadow of a zeppelin over crop circles. COOL!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Roger Dean's covers for Yes are by far my favorite for LP's. The Dead's Blues for Allah and Terrapin Station are also right up there on my list.

Oh, and I gotta give Tool a nod for their CD packaging. Always intersting.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I like the LP cover for Gary Wright's EXRACTION. The bass player who's name is, I think, Klaus Voorman (?) did the cover art. It's a drawing that could of been in pencil or charcoal? Anyway, the picture is of a jar of Gary Wright's Extraction with Gary's picture on the label.

Nick_G

Stunt Coordinator
i agree with the Roger Dean YES covers. didn't he also do the Uriah Heep "Demons and Wizards" and "Magician's Birthday" covers too? those are great as well.

my FAVORITE -- the Blind Faith young nubile female cover!! :D :D

also the original hendrix "Electric Ladyland" nude famales cover. plus it opened up "left handed"

the klaus voorman "Revolver" is a classic.

"in the court of the crimson king" is another.

the "deep purple" album (their 3rd album) is great -- it was a painting by Hieronymous Bosch. he was out there for sure!

i always liked the Bee Gees "Odessa" cover. just a plain red textured velvet album cover. another classic!!

and i also liked the whole "chicago transit authority" album cover/package that opened up.

and how 'bout the very simplistic "white album" cover???

and "sgt. pepper"????

the original beatles "yesterday, and today" butcher cover.

spooky tooth's "you broke my heart so i busted your jaw" cover!

the first "santana" album cover with the lions head made up of different "heads".

the stones "satanic majesty's request" 3-D cover.

cream "disraeli gears"

bowie "diamond dogs"

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Off the top of my head:

With the Beatles, Rubber Soul & Abbey Road
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
King Crimson - Lizard

and of course:
The Who Sell Out

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Alice Cooper-School's Out.

Even though the copies with underwear packaging were long gone before I bought mine.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I like the RUBBER SOUL cover too. I used to have Creams WHEEL OF FIRE - heavy embossed silver foil I think?

The ELVIS PRESLEY album, with the green and pink letters, on two sides of the b&w image, is iconic.

The Clash reused the concept on one of their albums decades later.

So many of those albums!

Compared with vinyl, CD covers and booklets are pathetic.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
i agree with the Roger Dean YES covers. didn't he also do the Uriah Heep "Demons and Wizards" and "Magician's Birthday" covers too? those are great as well.
He also did Asia.

My favorite cover of his is for Relayer.

Other favorites of mine:

Frank Zappa: Weasels Ripped My Flesh ("Rzzzz")

Marillion: Brave

Genesis: Nursery Cryme

Jethro Tull: Thick As A Brick

spinal tap: Smell the Glove
Voivod: Outer Limits (in 3D..came with glasses)
Wet Willie: Wetter the Better
Kinghorse: Kinghorse (pushead art)
Iron Maiden: Anything, especially Killers
Judas Priest: British Steel
The Tubes: The Tubes

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to say my two favorites are:
The Beatles - Revolver
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures.

Sadly I own neither LP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks