Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Please help with enclosure for Dayton 10" MKII

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 02:21 AM

I've been trying to work up an enclosure for the Dayton MKII I just purchased and am having some trouble. WinIsd tells me that a 1.3cuft box will give the smoothest graph, but the vent length would be impossible. What I'd like to end-up with is the smallest volume that will get me to 28Hz or lower. It will be going in my new living room that's about 23' x 14' x 9.5'vaulted ceiling. I've done many searches and found a number of references to the MKII but none talked about specifics on the enclosure. Thanks, davidk

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 11 2003 - 03:53 AM

Are you looking for examples? Here's one.

-Robert

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 01:12 PM

That's exactly what I need. Thanks. Just one more thing, could someone tell me if my results from WinISD are correct? I seem to be getting different results today even though I'm using the same saved driver info. I get a box of 1.3cuft which is fine, but the vent seems different. Yesterday I couldn't fit them in the box, today, using a 2" port it comes out to 6.7"? Does this sound right? Also as far as tuning goes, what results do you get by playing with the vent length? Should I build it so I can shorten or lengthen the port? Thanks again, davidk

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 05:50 AM

Have you considered spending a little more money and using passive radiators? You won't need to worry about vent length and you can have your original design with the extension you wanted.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:58 PM

Yes, A PR would be an option. I've already completed it though. I had a sheet of 1.5" mdf leftover and Friday night I put the whole thing together with a little finish work on Saturday. It's quite the cube at 16x16x20" (with feet), and it weighs in at 75lbs with everything in it. I haven't done any real testing but it sounds good, I think? I could still put a PR in the existing case, just put it where the port is now. From reading other posts, the key to it sounding "good" is to have a flat output, spl's, all the way down? Right? Is there a "how to tell if it really sound good for dummies"? Thanks, davidk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users