Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Please help with enclosure for Dayton 10" MKII

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 02:21 AM

I've been trying to work up an enclosure for the Dayton MKII I just purchased and am having some trouble.
WinIsd tells me that a 1.3cuft box will give the smoothest graph, but the vent length would be impossible.

What I'd like to end-up with is the smallest volume that will get me to 28Hz or lower. It will be going in my new living room that's about 23' x 14' x 9.5'vaulted ceiling.
I've done many searches and found a number of references to the MKII but none talked about specifics on the enclosure.

Thanks,
davidk

#2 of 5 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,046 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 11 2003 - 03:53 AM

Are you looking for examples? Here's one.

-Robert

#3 of 5 David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 01:12 PM

That's exactly what I need. Thanks.

Just one more thing, could someone tell me if my results from WinISD are correct? I seem to be getting different results today even though I'm using the same saved driver info.

I get a box of 1.3cuft which is fine, but the vent seems different. Yesterday I couldn't fit them in the box, today, using a 2" port it comes out to 6.7"? Does this sound right?

Also as far as tuning goes, what results do you get by playing with the vent length? Should I build it so I can shorten or lengthen the port?

Thanks again,
davidk

#4 of 5 Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 05:50 AM

Have you considered spending a little more money and using passive radiators? You won't need to worry about vent length and you can have your original design with the extension you wanted.

#5 of 5 David-Kraemer

David-Kraemer

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:58 PM

Yes, A PR would be an option. I've already completed it though. I had a sheet of 1.5" mdf leftover and Friday night I put the whole thing together with a little finish work on Saturday. It's quite the cube at 16x16x20" (with feet), and it weighs in at 75lbs with everything in it. I haven't done any real testing but it sounds good, I think? I could still put a PR in the existing case, just put it where the port is now.

From reading other posts, the key to it sounding "good" is to have a flat output, spl's, all the way down? Right? Is there a "how to tell if it really sound good for dummies"?

Thanks,
davidk