What's new

Friends is angering me...(possible spoilers) (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the preview for next weeks episode. And it showed Rachel asking Joey to kiss her. You know I don't understand this. They have been setting up for Ross & Rachel since the beginning and now they throw this in. Granted I haven't been watching the show this season. But, is the Rachel/Joey thing going to happen or is this just NBC hype ploy??

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Knowing NBC, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on what the "implied plotline" is until you see the episode. I, too, am not a big fan of the Joey/Rachel thing because it is a bit contrived for me.

My point is that NBC is known for extreme hype advertising and the end result is often different, or much tamer, than advertised. Ever notice the ads for ER? Based on the teasers, it seems that every week the place is going to blow up or the world is ending.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, NBC's ads generally bear little resemblance to the actual episode being hyped.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Exactly! how many times did NBC hype Niles & Dafne "romance" and yet it still took them years to get together.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
God I hate that show. I have to suffer through it every Thursday night with my wife, so I know all the plotlines, but I find it so incredibly superficial and predictable, week after week.

That said...if Joey is going to have a spinoff show of his own, they really need to give his character more believable emotion....which may be the reason they are playing up his crush on Rachel.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Trenton, welcome to the club. I've hated that show from the first minute I saw it. We'll get every season of this before we get any more "Mary Tyler Moore Show" on DVD. :angry:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I haven't really watched this season. Have they even tried to get Ross & Rachel together?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Todd, not really... a few lame attempts, but they don't seem to be too concerned.

I still like this show, but was in all honesty disappointed that they extended it for one more year. Finishing it now would have been nice.

That said, the episode last week, about the gang buying Powerball tickets together, was the best I've seen in years.

/Mike

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That said, the episode last week, about the gang buying Powerball tickets together, was the best I've seen in years.
Wow...talk about a difference of opinion...that may have been the worst episode of ANY show I've sat through in the last few years.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The show does tend to do whatever might throw a monkey in the wrench to provide some more drama. I get pretty tired of it.

They had a lot of good years, where to go, well get Rachel pregnant, then we can have more Rachel and Ross drama. Ok, get Rachel with Joey and can have even more drama (and they already did this once, so silly to do again, Joey is funny with all his encounters with women). For me, I stopped watching the show last season.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The biggest turn off for me actually is that it is on NBC. I hate the network. They never fail to show a re-run if they will loose even one viewer. Other networks do it also, but not near as bad as NBC.

It seems like they drag out 12 episodes for 8 months. Where 24 shows 24 episodes in the same amount of time or less.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I like every episode of Friends and I'll happily watch season 10. I think they should end it there, though. In my opinion, though, it is as funny as it has ever been, even if the plots get a little contrived.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seems like they drag out 12 episodes for 8 months. Where 24 shows 24 episodes in the same amount of time or less.
Just wait 'til next season when they're only making 18 new episodes instead of the usual 24. :wink:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Friends was once a great show, marrying snappy writing with actual character growth and consistent characterization. IMNSHO, it jumped the sharked a few seasons ago (and the Joey-Rachel thing was a sure sign).

I'm collecting season sets but I'm done after season 4. Seasons 5 and 6 had some individual great episodes, but overall the quality really started going down, and the producers/writers just threw believable characterization out the window. The show changed from a humorous and touching depiction of 6 people living and growing up to a show that resorted to dumb sitcom cliches and blatant disregard for continuity.

Here's to hoping Survivor continues to air on Thursday nights so I have something to watch.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I end up watching it due to it coming on right before Scrubs.
HA! So true. So many people refer to Scrubs as the show that comes on after Friends, but I prefer to think of it as the credits that I sit through to make sure I don't miss any Scrubs. Man I love Thursday night: Scrubs and CSI is almost all I ever watch nowadays.

James Davis

Agent
Out of all the shows on tv with long running problems, I see it the worse in Friends. The show has gone down hill in the last few years IMO. The characters are made more and more ridiculous each season: Monica being extremely selfish, bossy, and just plain psychotic; Chandler is no longer funny and extremely submissive(and his age is showing the most); Ross whinier than ever; Phoebe from quirky to just way overdone. All their traits we have seen before, but they just have to keep shoving them further and further into them. They are beyond hackneyed.

The only two characters I still enjoy are Rachel and partly Joey. Rachel is much more natural, and Joey has picked up emotion. My problem with Joey is that he still teeter totters back and from with his extremely stupid side, which has gotten old.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree. I love the episodes when they get the entire cast together instead of seperate story lines. It really shows their chemistry. Both the wife and I agree this was definitely the best episode of the season and probably the best in the last 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks