What's new

Will Nickelodeon ever get on the TV DVD bandwagon? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I was curious if Nickelodeon will ever come out will season sets for some of their TV shows

I'm actually refering to You Can't Do That On Televison, starring a 15yr old Alanis Morrissette:)
I love, love this show. Almost as much as Saved by the Bell.

I know there is some other choice stuff from the early 90's but I really can't remember their TV shows back then(except for Hey Dude!)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nick shows are released/distributed through Paramount. Some of the shows already represented on DVD (or about to be) in SOME fashion are:
  • Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, The
  • Blue's Clues
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Little Bill
  • Rocket Power
  • Rugrats
  • SpongeBob SquarePants

As you see, the releases skew toward the currently popular animated shows. I think there is some trepidation there about the idea of releasing the live-action shows, especially one from 1979. They probably think noone remembers it.

Well, over at TVShowsOnDVD, we have voters who want enough of it to place it in the top 7% of most-requested shows among site users, and 91% of those voters want it in season sets! And, lest someone think that this isn't representative of the current Nick audience, I'll remind them that the sliming is still going on at the upcoming Nick Awards that Rosie O'Donnell is going to host...a mega-star is supposed to get slimed again.

Now why would the show that inspired all of that be left in the vaults? This house would make a good home to all of that. :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,

Just did some research,
he's the NON-animated "classic" Nick shows

3-2-1 Contact (thought this was a PBS show, but according to the site, it claims it played on Nick)

Adventures in Rainbow Country

Allegra's Window

Animoprhs

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Bad News Bears

Bill Nye the Science Guy

Clarissa Explains it All

Double Dare

Dusty's Treehouse

Eureeka's Castle

Fifteen

Figure It Out

Finders Keepers---I LOVED THIS GAMESHOW!

Flipper

Fred Penner's Place

Get the Picture

Ghostwriter

Gullah Gullah Island

Guts/Global Guts

Hey Dude

Into the Labyrinth

Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp

Land of the Lost

Lassie/Jeff's Collie

Legends of the Hidden Temple

Livewire

Make the Grade

Mathnet (thought this was a PBS show, and part of Square OneTV, but according to the site, it claims it played on Nick)

Matt and Jenny

Mr. Wizard's World

My Brother and Me

Nick Arcade

Nick in the Afternoon

Noah Knows Best

Out of Control

Pinwheel

Rated K for Kids

Roundhouse

Salute Your Shorts

Sharon, Lois And Bram's The Elephant Show

Shinng Time Station

SK8TV

Space Cases

Sports Theatre with Shaquille O'Neal

The Adventures of Pete and Pete

The Haunting of Cassie Palmer

The Journey of Allen Strange

The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo

The Secret World of Alex Mack

The Tomorrow People

The Wubbulous World of Dr. Suess

Think Fast

Today's Special

Turkey Television

Under the Mountain

Vegetable Soup (thought this was a PBS show, but according to the site, it claims it played on Nick) AND wasn't there a segment of the show where there was claymation ghetto type characters lost in space??

Weinerville

What Would You Do?

You Can't Do That on Television

You're On

Zoo Family

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Some of those may have rerun on Nick, but I don't think were Nick originals. I don't have time today to research it, though.

It would be nice for a lot of those live-action shows to be represented on DVD. But, as I said, Nick seems to be feeding Paramount the animated stuff from the last decade.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete. Pete & Pete.

-v

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
You Can't Do That on Television
This was a Canadian-produced TV show from Nickelodeon's earliest days. It originated in Ottawa, where the school system provided most of the on-air talent. It started there in 1979, becoming quite popular, and Nickelodeon didn't pick it up until 1982.

I would be surprised if Nick had the rights to the show. It seems much more likely that they remain with producer/writer Roger Price, who was well known before You Can't Do That for his hit TV shows for kids in Britain. Nick was a struggling upstart network when it signed the show. (Much of the programming then was from Canada. I used to watch music videos by Saga, a Canadian rock group, after YCDTOT.) Price stayed with the show when Nick picked it up, and I find it hard to believe that he signed away the rights.

Maybe someone else knows differently.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Pete & Pete
Salute Your Shorts
Wouldn't hesitate to pick these two up if released. They both have an ageless quality.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Just imagine a "Pete and Pete" collection with every episode and every short. I would buy it in a second.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
What about Rocko's Modern Life?! Or Ren and Stimpy? I'd love to see full season sets of both but I'd be suprised if it happened.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Pete and Pete.

All the shorts.

All the full length specials.

All the episodes from all three seasons.

It could fit in a 6 disc boxset.

And Salute Your Shorts.

That should be 2 - 3 discs at the most.

And cant forget Welcome Freshmen.

The chick from Welcome Freshmen played a ho in Phone Booth.

And cant forget You Can't Do That on Television?

And Roundhouse.

Damn straight.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'd love Pete and Pete (this one NEEDS to come out), You Can't Do That on Television, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Roundhouse, and Salute Your Shorts :)

[rant]"I AM ARTIE... THE STRONGEST MAN... IN THE WOOOORLD"[/rant] :D

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I would do a kangaroo leap over everyone in line, knocking down my own mother and grandmother if need be.

Heck, to this day, I will stop dead in my tracks when the Volkswagon commercial with the kid who played "endless mike" comes on (you can't imagine how I would run from the other room back when Big Pete was doing Ameritrade commericals!)

Pete and Pete is the best thing Nickelodeon ever did.

-Vince

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
*sigh* If only Nickelodeon/Paramount cared...
They're sitting on a goldmine with their classic 80s/early 90s shows and either they don't know it or (as you say) they don't care. Do you realize how many of their classic shows I would buy in season sets? Hell, I'd probably buy them in "best-ofs" too if that was the only way they'd release them.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, went to highschool with the younger Pete. Never did caer for that show, so didn't matter much for me.

But I really wish that Nick would start a 'classic Nick' network, like TV Land, only for older Nick shows like Out of Control. Just re-run them constantly like they do on that Nick Toon Channel...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks