What's new

What is the best progressive scan DVD player I can buy for under $100?? (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I went to BestBuy today and they had a Panny and a Tosibia progressive scan DVD players for $99. Are these any good? Is there any DVD that's better for around the same price range? Thanks guys.

Jason Pugh

Agent
The Toshiba DVD players are known to have a bad chroma bug issue and the Pannys are not. If I had the choice I would go with Panny for PQ. I will say however that I wasn't too impressed with the new DVD S35 (think an S was in it) model. It had some funky problems on some of the menu screens and even sometimes during credits etc. you would see some instability in the letters as they seemed to shake. I would turn the S35 on interlaced and the problem would disappear but I would then lose the benefits of normal progressive scan usage which it seemed to do quite well. I have the Pioneer Elite which is known for doing the prog scan on its own as well as or better than many of the regular prog scan DVD players and I could see a difference when the prog scan was working correctly on the S35. My example in another thread was Stargate SE when the names first come up it doesn't look real stable on prog scan but once past that all was rosey. I tested prog vs interlaced when looking at the intricately carved gold medallion and the prog scan showed clearly to be better here with the S35.

Well, this doesn't necessarily answer your question. Good, Progress Scan, and under $100 really shouldn't be in the same sentence at this point in time IMO. I was hoping that the S35 would change that but the minor problems kept me from thinking so and the other players tend to have mild to horrible Chroma Bug problems. If I had to deal with the minor problems with the Panny or Chroma Bug of a Toshiba I would easily choose the Panny. Maybe that helps. :D

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot Jason, that helped.

Is there a Progressive scan DVD player that is a lot better than the s35 for 30 or less dollars more? B/c, if I could get a much better DVD player for 130, I'd definately couch up the extra 30 for the upgrade. Thanks.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jason

How is the interlaced picture and sound quaility of the Panny you spoke of?

Picture Sharp, Soft, etc????

SQ good, excellent, fair????

Also dose it have composite (RCA) digital out or just Toslink?

Thanks
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks