-

Photo
- - - - -

Need help picking HDTV reciever

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 John Huff

John Huff

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 12:26 PM

I am planning on getting Direct TV and buying an Hdtv reciever.I can't decide between the Samsung SIR-TS160 or the Zenith HD-SAT520.I will be getting my local HD stations from an antenna,and I read that the Samsung didn't do this well.If anyone has had experience with these recievers or has another suggestion I would appreciate any help you could give me.

#2 of 3 Dean Wette

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:59 PM

I have the Samsung SIR-TS160 and it receives OTA HDTV just fine. I get all the local HD stations, and I don't have to switch anything on the receiver to go from DirecTV channels to OTA channels and vice versa.

The only thing to be aware of is that entering OTA HD channels by number on the TS160 remote uses a '-' key, so if you have a universal remote, you'll need to find a key to program the '-' key. I have the HTM MX500 and use the DIS key for that, which allows me to include OTA HD channels in my FAV list on the remote.

The ability to receive OTA HDTV with any receiver will vary by location, antennae used, etc.

Dean
Dean Wette

#3 of 3 SeanA

SeanA

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 04:38 PM

I just set up the Samsung SIR-T151 with my Sony 34" widescreen, and I have been able to pull in all the available OTA HD stations except for one (which I know puts out a weak signal) using an indoor antenna. Granted, the SIR-T151 is just an OTA receiver but I would have to say it definitely does the job with antenna reception.
Sean
Samsung HL-R4667W DLP, Denon DVD-1600, Sony DVPNS75H, H/K AVR 225, Wharfedale Emeralds and Diamonds