-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Urgh A Music War

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 James Gallup

James Gallup

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:04 AM

Probably of interest to very few here and my first time posting in this area. For fans that are familiar, this is an awesome video that contains music from many late 70's early 80's punk/new wave bands. It is truly a classic of this mini genre. I've done many searches on it and found that fox/cbs re-released it on video tape in the 90's and nothing has been done with it since. I originaly saw it while stationed in the Philippines in the mid 80's. The video of the "CRAMPS" is worth the potential price of admission by itself. Anyone else seen and want to see this released on DVD?
Jgiddyup

#2 of 11 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,655 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:41 PM

I want this on DVD as well...

I believe Warner has the rights to it. I would so love this on disc...There's a performance by the original line-up of the Go-Gos in the movie, plus all sorts of other top New Wave acts.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If I remember reading correctly, Oingo Boingo is in the movie as well.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#3 of 11 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:09 PM

Yep, it's a Lorimar film owned by WB.

Niche audience interest + high music clearances = half these artists will be dead if and when this DVD ever gets released.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#4 of 11 James Gallup

James Gallup

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 06:04 AM

You're almost certainly right Mark, but if a studio is listening, I'd probably be willing to pay 30 or 40 bucks for it with a reasonably done dolby 2.0 soundtrackPosted Image John you're correct about the Go Go's & BoingoPosted Image
Jgiddyup

#5 of 11 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 09:00 AM

The film contains a fascinating and wide-ranging collections of punk, post-punk, and new wave acts of the era. It's a great primer for the music of the late 70s/early 80s, nicely documenting the brief point where punk, post-punk, and new wave converged, just before it was all co-opted by the mainstream and the emerging MTV. This is a great answer to anyone who thinks "all 80s music sucks" or calls it "cheesy."

This film was distributed in the U.S. by Filmways. Does this distinguish it from other Lorimar titles? Or is it too controlled by Warner à la Cruising, Night School, and Fast Walking? I was kind've hoping because of the Filmways/Orion connection that MGM might have something to do with it; it would seem to stand a better chance of release with MGM rather than Warner.

Hopefully, so long as the rights issues can be resolved, Warner will see fit to bring this long-lost treasure to DVD.

And maybe we'll get to see some of the numbers that didn't make the final cut. They are on the the album, but not the released film.

-Jon

#6 of 11 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 11:58 PM

No, it's definitely Warners. That theatrical release via Filmways/Orion was a one-shot deal, probably because Lorimar couldn't interest either United Artists or Paramount (their previous P&A distributors) to handle it. The only Lorimar titles not owned by WB are those where the studio kicked in an equity stake, such as Paramount with AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN, or Universal with THE CHOIRBOYS, TANK, and THE LAST STARFIGHTER.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 11 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,320 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 07:33 AM

I would love to have this.
Great performance of "Puppet" by Echo and the Bunnymen
Hilarious performace by Klaus Nomi

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#8 of 11 PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 06:26 PM

Quote:
Hilarious performace by Klaus Nomi

I'll never forget that - I was there! I'm still hanging onto a long out of print vhs video compilation of Klaus Nomi videos: now THAT is a caffeine substitute.

I'd buy "Urgh" in a heartbeat; I can't think of any other movie that documents the wide variety of "new wave" music that was going on at the time before some of it became MTV-friendly. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and I kind of recall that the double album didn't exactly match what is in the movie, but I also remember performances by Devo, Gary Numan and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (or maybe, The Runaways?) being included, besides the bands already mentioned here.

#9 of 11 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 06:33 AM

I have this on CED Videodisc Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 11 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 05:07 AM

I think you can order this from Video Search of Miami:

www.vsom.com

They carry hard to find titles that have never been released here in the States. The visual quality of this title is rated as "B+". I was thinking about ordering it from there. I ordered a tape from them once, but I see they are now carrying things on DVD.

#11 of 11 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 02:19 AM

I would love this on DVD too. I use to watch the VHS tape of this all the time but I haven't seen it in over 10 years.