What's new

Multipul LFE outputs (1 Viewer)

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
Ive read a lot of great reviews on definitve technology speakers. Im lookin to replace my currents fronts with these. They have built in (powered) sub-woofers and an LFE input for the subwoofer. I only have one LFE ouput on my reciever, and my subwoofer does not have any output to send the LFE to another source. How would i go about feeding 3 different LFE inputs.

( i realize that i can just plug the speakers in as reg speakers, and just set them to large. But i prefer to set my fronts to small so that they dont suck up so much juice from the reciever. It helps keep the signal a little clearer and the gives it a little crisper sound.)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well the buit-in subwoofer amp acts like a high-impedence to low frequencies when the DefTechs are wired with speaker wire. This means they do not eat up much power.

You should also know that having 3 subs operating in different locations in your room can be a nightmare in terms of getting smooth bass sound in multiple spots

Think of a dribble of water on a corner of a pan. The waves are regular, smooth. Now think of dribbling water into 3 different locations. the waves are choppy and really high in spots and low in others. This is like having 3 subs operating in a room.

But... you gotta try it at least once. :) (I had dual SVS subs and the subs in my DefTech towers all going one night. Couldent watch a movie this way, but the experiement was fun).

You basically need to get 2 "Y" adaptors and gang them together to give you 3 outputs.

If I were you, I'd move my external sub close to one of the DefTech towers (so they act like a single source). Put in a "Y" adaptor behind the receiver and go to the location of the 2 towers. Behind the tower with the external sub, use another "Y" adaptor to split the feed into 2 parts: one for that DefTech, one for the external sub.

Calibration: Use an SPL meter with sub test-tones to get your levels to match your mains. But check to see how bad the sound is at other locations by:

- Getting the sound to some known volume at your listening position with subwoofer-only test tones.

- Move the SPL meter to the right & left and stop where somone sitting next to you would have their head. How much different is the volume? Continue along the couch/chairs to chart the volume at each seat. If it does not vary much, you are in luck. The interactions between the 3 subs does not cause a problem.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks