What's new

In-wall vs. Std Speaker Cable (1 Viewer)

Kurt_M

Auditioning
I am framing up my HT and am to the point of running some speaker wire. I went to Home Depot to pick some up but they don't have in-wall rated wire. Does it matter if I use the regular stuff or am I better off/ forced to use the in-wall wire?

I went to partsexpress.com and the in-wall stuff is actually cheaper which to me says it isn't as good quality. I could be just paranoid though.

Any thoughts and thanks for the input in advance.

km

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Does it matter if I use the regular stuff or am I better off/ forced to use the in-wall wire?
It absolutely matters (you will fail inspection). Did you ask for in-wall or conduit rated cable? You just need any 12 gauge conduit rated cable (preferably flexible). The Part's Express stuff will work fine... (they sell a 'high quality' version if you want to spend more for piece of mind).

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Certified in-wall stuff (including cables sometimes trademarked Romex) is just as good as the most expensive boutique speaker cable for the same number gauge. It just doesn't look as good but you won't be seeing it because it is inside the wall. It is also stiffer but once you install it you won't be fidgeting with it.

In some cities, and/or for certain kinds of buildings, the wire must be enclosed in a conduit. In a conduit you can string single conductor wires as opposed to Romex type cables.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kurt_M

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll search for in-wall rated wire at either Lowe's or Home Depot. If no luck there then Parts Express it will be.

BTW I'll take the advice but I don't understand why the need for in-wall rated wire. If the in-wall wire is for fire saftey then it seems like a little overkill because speaker wire would probably be the last thing to a) cause a fire or b) worry about if a fire is started.

km

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks