Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Who has the RP82 or what's a good replacement?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:22 AM

Hi all. Sorry if this is redundant, but here's my story. I finished building my bedroom HT about a half year ago. I purchased a PS2, but did build my shelf with a thin slot for the RP82. I had my ps2 at the time for a DVD player, so procrastination got the best of me and I didn't bother getting the 82. I figured I'd let it drop in price. HOWEVER, I came back to this particular forum after a few months without HT research and found that the RP82 is discontinued. Jigga whaaa??!! I see they're getting hard to find. Even Ebay is now expensive. What I like about the RP82 is the slim design, many playback formats and I read that the chip inside is good. .. not to mention that the price is [was] right, too. Can anyone give me a hand? Where can I purchase this OR does Panny have a good replacement with a similar chip? After not doing much research for a couple months, I was confused by a particular model# in Best Buy. I did not recognize it. Any help is appreciated.
Mr. JBL has made my first home theater possible.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:30 AM

I cannot even find it at pricegrabber.com However, the xp30 looks similar and is $199 at pricegrabber. Any insight as to how is compares? Does it have the same chip as the 82?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Frank Da Fin

Frank Da Fin

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:23 AM

The xp30 is very similar, although it doesn't have DVD-A. Finding a rp82 is like finding a needle in a haystack now, unless you want to pay mucho $$$. The xp30 got high marks on the DVD Shootout. Do a Froogle search, you should be able to find it for less than $199.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Pugh

Jason Pugh

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 04:46 AM

I was faced with this EXACT delima and went with the Denon 1600. It is basically the same player as the RP82 and I got it for under $400 online. Maybe someone knows a good place to get it cheaper but at most stores it is $499 PLUS Tax. So far I love the player. I'm impressed with the PQ to say the least.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Aristides

Aristides

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 09:08 AM

Check out the Panny XP-30 which as someone stated is about the same as the RP82 however without DVD-A capabilities.

If DVD-A is important to you, check out the step up from Panny (XP-50) although this player is getting tough to find as well.

For me it was between those two players and the Denon 1600. In the end cost was a big part of my decision, so I ended up getting the XP-30.

As someone said earlier, check out the DVD shootout
HERE

Peace,
Aristides

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the info, fellas. XP30 it is. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users