Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

green tint to HLN?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Chris Mills

Chris Mills

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:06 AM

On advice of what I've read here, I've been looking at the new Samsung DLPs. I saw a HLN4365 at Magnolia and thought it looked quite good (maybe not quite as good as the 50" Fujitsu plasma, but I digress...). I took the girlfriend to see it to gain approval. She immediatly pointed out that (compared to the other sets in the store) it had a green tint to it. No amount of fiddling with the user controls completely made this go away. I figured it might just be that set, so I tracked down a HLN5065 at the local Best Buy. It was hard to tell with the feed they were giving it, but I thought the color was better... but I still detected a slight green tinge... The girlfriend thought so too, and her opinion is that I shouldn't get a $4000 TV that makes things "too green". My question (finally): Is this a known phenomenon? I can't find any posts that talk about this. Is it something that can be fixed via calibration? Is it my imagination? Anyone else think the HLN's look greenish? If this is a roadblock, it's back to square one on the TV search... Thanks in advance.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Dean Wette

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:23 AM

The Samsung DLPs (I have a HLM617W) have very good PQ out of the box, but like anything else they benefit from ISF calibration. When my set was calibrated the tech ended up turning blue down a bit and red up a bit. The result was an improvement, but not earth shattering (which supports the statement that they're pretty good out of the box). I certainly didn't have any complaints before calibration, and definitely no problems with too much green. I'm thrilled with my set and have no regrets buying it. Dean
Dean Wette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users