Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Theater gets REALLY HOT (not from equipment)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:07 AM

Hi all,
I have a serious summertime problem. I do not have central air in my house and the windows in my theater do not support AC units. The room is 12x15. One of the 15' walls is essentially all windows and one 12' wall is also windows. I have shades (cheapo white roll down from homedepot) that adequately block light. The problem is that the sunlight passing through the glass heats the hell outta the place. Is there some sort of UV blocking plastic or something that one can stick to the glass to prevent this? It gets hotter in the room that it is outside sometimes (90 degrees!!!). I have a portable AC I wheel in there but it is loud and only 8000BTU (about as high as these units go for $1200!!!).
Thanks in advance
Marc

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 05:04 AM

Tint your windows. Also, can you install awnings or some sort of patio cover over the top that extend out to help block direct sun light on the windows?

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 05:43 AM

At the very least, I would investigate small fans for circulating air in your equipment rack.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jacques C

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:21 AM

Shutters on the outside can do wonders. Tinting can help as well.

If you have an attic you can get a decent sized inline fan (www.smarthome.com has some) to pull air in from a room that has the AC connected to it. Only cost you $100 or so total to do that, as long as you can handle the electrical.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   shane_watson

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:55 AM

http://www.homedepot....tOID=100010260 this should help.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   shane_watson

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 07:00 AM

links broken heres some info to help you find it at your home depot. Gila Window Films Features:

Reflects 70% of summer heat outside

Retains 55% of winter heating indoors

Reduces up to 99% of harmful UV rays

Saves money, reduces utility bills, improves comfort

Safe for single and dual pane windows

The most energy-efficient year round film

Includes English and Spanish illustrated instructions

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:50 PM

Look into a mini split ductless AC system for your HT, very low air noise and slim profile, using HD Gila window tinting film is a very good idea, I used the 70% and it really works well, my only gripe is that apparently GILA's film quality is not very consistent between batches, my last roll was a PITA to install because the film wrinkled very easily,I had to be extra careful and modify my installation technique.good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/....tem=2309069864

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 09:40 AM

Marc,

I turned my bonus room which is located above the garage into a dedicated home theater room. I knew a room located above a garage can tend to get warmer than the rest of the second floor rooms , so I took that into account. I installed an inline duct fan in the ducts going into my HT room that I bought at Smarthome.com. I also tinted the window with the Gila window film found at Hdepot.
And I insulated the heck out of the room too.

Hopefully I have taken all measures to insure that my HT room will be as cool as it can be this summer.

Try the duct fan and tint those windows.
Whenever you're in there watching a movie, you can just flip the duct fan switch on and it will force more cooled air from the other rooms into your HT room. It should definately help.
Good lUck!

Troy

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 10:17 AM

Unfortunately, The duct fans are not an option because I have not ducts anywhere in my house. The ductless system sounds like a good home-improvement because I could get a 3 zone system and cool the whole first floor (which is also quite hot but not as hot as the theater room) essentially after my 2nd child is born in July. I think for now I am going with the film and then the ductless system. A great time for a home equity loan..
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and links!

Marc

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 12:15 AM

MarcE,

That's cool your second is coming in July! Posted Image

If the doc's due date is correct, I'll be having my second one right before yours in June!Posted Image

Looks like I'll have to adjust the ole' volume knob ..just ... a pinch Posted Image

Have a good one!

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR