Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Confirmed - UK price drop on the XBox

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 11:19 PM

We've lost the free JSRF/SegaGT, but as of today (or maybe tomorrow, I'm slightly confused on that) the XBox is down from £159 to £129 - MCV news here
mmm, thats odd.

#2 of 7 Jonathan White

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:41 AM

This was bound to happen.....I only bought mine a couple of weeks ago....bugger!!!

#3 of 7 paul h

paul h

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 05:04 AM

Reaction to the Gamecube sales spiking i suspect tho that was only caused by Argos and Dixons selling em off. Works out pretty much the same deal anyway as previously for £159 you got it bundled with the JSRF/SegaGT games.

#4 of 7 Masood Ali

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:36 AM

This article explains the motivation for the price cut.

Excerpts:

Microsoft Corp. on Thursday slashed the price of its Xbox video game console by 20 percent in Europe as analysts warned that the company was in danger of missing its shipment target for the fiscal year.

Microsoft and Nintendo have been battling neck and neck for the No. 2 position across Europe, a fast-growing market. Analysts said Microsoft's decision to cut the price of the Xbox in Europe underscored the competitive pressures facing both game box makers...

But Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter told Reuters on Thursday that based on his calculations of sales and estimates of retail inventory, Microsoft will end up shipping about 7.6 million Xbox units by the end of June, short of the company's 9 million-unit forecast. "I'd say even with Microsoft fudge numbers you can get to 8 million. You can't get to 9 million. You just can't get there," Pachter said. "The question one has to ask is: are they more interested in making money or are they more interested in saving face? With any rational company, one should assume they're interested in making money. With Microsoft, I'm not sure."

#5 of 7 Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:47 PM

Why is this thread not getting the same "desperation tactics" posts that the Nintendo thread is?

#6 of 7 Masood Ali

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 05:03 PM

Quote:
Why is this thread not getting the same "desperation tactics" posts that the Nintendo thread is?
Probably because most people expect yearly price-cuts around E3.

#7 of 7 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 01:06 AM

Because outside of our European members, noone gives too hoots about Europe? :-/
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!