-

Photo
- - - - -

It happened to me! White van speakers!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 11:10 PM

Finally! On my way home from work last evening, I stopped into Wal-Mart. As I was getting in my car after buying a few things, a white van pulled up, and a guy in the passenger seat said, "Hey, you want to buy some really good speakers?" I just said "Yeah, right" and got in the car without making eye contact. The guy then yelled, "Hey, I'm serious!", but they drove off. Then as I was starting my car, I saw the van pass by in the row of the parking lot in front of me. As they went by, the guy in the passenger's seat looked at me and shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "Hey, how can you pass these up?!" Well, it didn't end quite there.

I continued down the highway and stopped for gas. As I am pumping gas, the white van passes by relatively slowly, and the guy in the passenger seat yells at me, "Hey, stupid!" along with a few other expletives. I was really surprised by this. I've heard a lot of stories about how these guys operate (e.g., the old excess-inventory-and-my-boss-is-going-be-mad-if-I-come-back-with-these-speakers story). However, I did not expect these guys to be so rude or to harass me down the road like that. In the end, it was pretty funny and was an interesting experience.

So, the white vans are out there. Be on the lookout, and whatever you do, don't buy the speakers!
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#2 of 69 Chip E

Chip E

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 11:25 PM

Keith,

Last time it happened to me was last year... Right in my bank parking lot ! Lol..

First time was back in 1980 or so, pumping gas in high school. Clowns..
- Chip

My HT

#3 of 69 BrianMB

BrianMB

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 11:58 PM

LOL...I just encountered them for the first time on Monday. My windshield wipers broke while I was driving home, so I was in the Cherry Hill Mall parking lot in NJ trying to fix them. It's windy, cold and sleeting on me as I struggle to get the wipers back on and they pull up to my car and say "hey, we got these really great speakers"! I'm thinking, hey, how about an umbrella. They persisted the issue from their warm and dry van while I'm out in the rain. I told them that their scam is all over the internet. They nervously laughed and tried to act shocked and said "what site". I said all you have to do is search Google for "white van speakers". They made it out like it was my loss and slowly drove away.

#4 of 69 Chip E

Chip E

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 12:07 AM

Brian, funny how they are all over my area... i live about 5 minutes from the Cherry Hill mall. Posted Image
- Chip

My HT

#5 of 69 Joe Casey

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 12:49 AM

If you're in the Cherry Hill area and get accosted by the white van folks after 4pm, more likely than not they are all run by the same A/V home integrator whose looking to offload 'unaccounted for' and stolen merchandise. The name of this company will remain a secret.
Q

#6 of 69 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:06 AM

Oh, this is pandemic in SoCal. And I've been accosted in a bank parking lot too.

A couple of years ago, Home Theater magazine actually bought some speakers from gentlemen in a van and tested the units. No crossover network. Just drivers wired into an enclosure.

#7 of 69 Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 07:27 AM

I have had it happen multiple times as well. I always think it is pretty funny. A lot of people must fall for it.
If it wasn't enough, they wouldn't call it the minimum.

#8 of 69 chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 08:33 AM

I think the name of the speakers are hilarious. DOGG DIGITAL . Who in their right mind (sucker or not) would purchase speakers with that name.
My first experience with these ass-clowns was about a year ago. When I told them that I didn't need speakers, and that I had B&W's already, they asked me why I would spend money on speakers made by a car companyPosted Image :P) Posted Image . I think one of them interjected by saying how the "Dogg's" would best any speaker made by Bose. Ahh, I just love random acts of stupidity.

#9 of 69 Ron_L

Ron_L

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 08:36 AM

My buddy from High School fell for it. I was in shock. They look like P.A speakers and the boxes say " Digital Ready " which is hilarious.

#10 of 69 Trace Ahlers

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 09:03 AM

I was approached at the Home Depot the other day.
He asked if I wanted to check out the left over speakers and I said "Sure, plug 'em in so I can hear them" and smiled. Then I started laughing my ass off.
He drove away.
What bothers me more than the idea of selling crap to me is the fact that they're assuming that I'm stupid!
It really irritates me.
Trace

#11 of 69 Pete GTP

Pete GTP

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 12:34 PM

I also had this hapen to me not to long ago. Was at a McDonalds at the Michigan / Indiana border. The Guy wouldn't take no for an answer. He asked if I was sure I didn't want to look at them four times. They did several laps around the parking lot and asked everyone in sight.

#12 of 69 Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 01:56 PM

It happens down here as well - it must be a big underground franchise.
"Are you ready, Jack?"
"I was BORN ready!"

#13 of 69 Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:10 PM

Happened to me a month back and to a good friend of mine a few days later at a local gas station. I tried to convince myself I should feel flattered, like they thought i had a lot of disposable cash (though they certainly wouldn't have gotten that impression from my ride!).

So they're in Cali, PA, Jersey, Canada and down under. I smell some serious conspiracy. That terrifies me.

And you have to get the emphasis right! It's like:

"Duuuuuuuude, d'you wanna buy some phat-ass speakers??"

Posted Image
XBLIVE GAMERTAG: the light
"Life is such a changing art."
-Dar Williams

#14 of 69 Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:28 PM

They're even selling those "Dogg Digital" speakers on eBay. You should check their prices out just for a good laugh. Hilarious. I did email one of the high bidders to let them in on the scam. Just trying to do my part.
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#15 of 69 Adil M

Adil M

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:37 PM

You guys are lucky. I've been waiting to be asked. I'm going to make them demo them and the works if i have time to kill.
I've warned people down here who have asked me about them. I have told multiple people over the phone to return them immediately after explaining the "white van" and the "story." They don't want to believe you, but they do. Poor suckers (real pity.)

#16 of 69 Jorge UF

Jorge UF

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:44 PM

Got the same story over here in Irving Texas. Guy saying they had just gotten a shipment with extra inventory and he can't take them back cuz of his boss would just take them home. He was out of a green explorer though. Funny thing is that he came up to me about a week later with the same BS story.

So Texas is also infected with the speaker scam virus.

#17 of 69 Bri~A

Bri~A

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:44 PM

My $0.02... I was approached a while ago in Staten Island. I was in high school at the time so I am thinking this must have been about 4 years ago. Add NY to the state tally.

#18 of 69 BrianMB

BrianMB

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:42 PM

The scam is actually worldwide with different speaker names.

link

I find it amusing to read the reviews of the speakers on AudioreviewPosted Image

#19 of 69 Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:57 PM

I fight scams with scams.

If a white speaker van pulled up to me, I'd whip out the windex and rag and wash their windshield and request $5 or a speaker.

#20 of 69 David Berry

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 07:40 AM

Hey, they drive all the way into Canada as well. A few months ago in a McDonald's parking lot a white van pulled up and asked if I wanted to buy some speakers. Feeling adventurous, I said lets have a look.

PARADYGME - DIGITAL READY said the big box. "With 15" woofer and a liquid-cooled 3.5" tweeter", he said. It was a good adventure.

David