What's new

2003 ML Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I saw there were a few other baseball threads, but none for us to just vent over the course of the season.

If you want to stop by and celebrate or whine about something that happened to your favorite team, please do.

Phils beat the Braves last night, 16-2. :D:D:D:D

That's like heaven.

How's your favorite team doing so far?

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
WORD UP. How about them Phillies?? Two homers each by Burrell and Thome last night. It's early, but this looks like a very good team. Maybe they'll send the Vet out with an October bang.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maddux is 0-3 with a ERA over 11, and the combined score of his losses is something like 45-2. *shakes heads*

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
My team (Oakland) is finally getting off to a good April start. Only one loss so far! Perhaps this is our year...time will tell.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Many unknowns here in Seattle. New manager, but Melvin should work out fine, but how will the offense be? 2 years ago, the hitting was unbelievable, but the numbers Boone, Cameron, et al. could have been an abhoration. (I think they were) Cirillo is proving to be a bust, especially in replacing David Bell. Wynn was a great pickup I think. Defense is good, and the pitching is alright. They'll hang with The A's and Angels for most of the year, but won't make the playoffs.

Chris

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sinking feeling that it's a going to be a LONG season for Padre fans...

At least the Pads stuck it to the Dodgers last week. :D

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Mets are just trying to stay competetive this year so they can clear some payroll and make a run at adding BColon and Vlad G next year. But with the way the Braves are looking early, maybe they can stay in the race. But the Phils are looking very strong early.

Still Are Phillie fans that comfortable with Bowa leading that team? He seems like and awful lot like the now defunct Bobby V.

James T

Screenwriter
I was kind of worried about the Jays getting swept. But what other team to sweep the Jays than the Yankees. If it weren't for the Yankees series, the Jays would have been on pace to win 162 games this year

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
So far Ive only been able to see the Yankee series on the tube out in BC. Frustrating I tell ya. Last sunday's game was blacked out in BC cause it wouldnt have been over before the hockey game, and so far there havent been any other games on :frowning:.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Mike: I think tonight's game is national on Sportsnet. You can see the schedule at http://www.sportsnet.ca . I don't think any other channels have the rights to any Jays games at all (in Canada).

If you're watching, look for a guy with a blue mohawk in the stands near third base. :D

James: yeah, at least it was the Yanks. But I think we also started to gain our confidence in the third game against them, where we almost came back and only lost by two runs (okay, it was 9-7).

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Maddux, what is wrong buddy??? When asked that he said "nothing is wrong, I just need to throw the right pitches at the right times and throw them well". Um, well, YEH, Isn't that the whole point?

Ok so the Braves won tonight. What is up with Javy? 0/5 the other night against the Phillies, and he lost it for them. Twice he was up to bat with a runner on 3rd, and got out. Then tonight he hits 3 for 4? You have always been streaky Javy.

Braves 4-6. Not looking good. They hired a new pitcher today, maybe he will give maddux some time to get back into the rhythm. Also there is talk of Smoltz going back to regular line up, not sure if this is a good idea, he is too good where he is at.

Detroit still hasn't won, ouch. When do we play the Mets?

Braves started kinda slow last year, not this bad, but they picked up later, hopefully this will happen. I'm interested to see how our Colorado pitcher, when he gets well, turns out.

And John Rocker is back in the mix.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
The average percent increase of salary was 13% every year. Wow. I'd love to get that at work! :eek:

How about the Mets paying Mo Vaughn $17ish million each year to sit down, eat ice cream and bat a whopping .259 last year. Since he did so well with the .259 avg, that's why his salary was raised approximately $7mil this year. :rolleyes

For the top performers, I don't mind the high salaries so much but with guys like Vaughn, baseball's pricing itself right out of existence. Sure, he was a good hitter (before his injury/whatever) but the Mets signing him to such a lucrative contract without knowing if he can repeat those numbers is conituning a serious problem that is occurring in the MLB.

(rant off) ;)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
No one in baseball is worth a quarter billion dollars. That is just silly.

The only gripe I have about baseball, and I'll make it short, is that on average, the team with the most money wins the most games.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
One of my major gripes with baseball is from a purely aesthetic standpoint: why doesn't MLB move an NL Central team into the AL West to even up the numbers? It always bugs me to see four teams in one division and six in the other--to say nothing of the adverse effects it might have on final records and playoff qualifications (because of skewed scheduling).

And do away with interleague play. But for the Yanks/Mets and Cubs/ChiSox, do any of the games even mean anything to anyone? I'd much rather see more games against league opponents. For instance, the Phillies and Pirates only play once in April and once in September. That is simply not right.

Sorry for the rant. Go Phils!

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks