What's new

Why don't DVD recorders have coax digital inputs? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You know, so you could put like 5 CD's worth of 16/44 music on one DVD? I don't think I've seen one like this. But yet you can get CD recorders with digital inputs so I don't think it's a copyright issue. PC based DVD recorders can do this, right?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
PC based digital recorders can do virtually anything. It's not really valid to compare the two.

DVD stand-alone units should have digital inputs IMO. I've never looked to see if they do or not.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
You must remember, most consumer model standalone CD recorders can only use music CD-Rs for digital copying, ensuring a royalty payment. The payment is included in the cost of these music CD-Rs; thus their higher cost.

There are no DVD-R blanks that have a royalty structure built in; hence the lack of digital ins (they don't want us to have bit-perfect copies royalty free)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jeff- Makes sense! Thanks.

Oooooh: I have a pro CD recorder: takes computer blanks. I wonder if there are "pro" DVD burners yet. Hmmm... :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that. I wouldn't think a big deal though, because MD and DAT decks have sample rate converters that, if good quality, don't compromise the digital signal that much...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Kevin
Did you buy one yet?
I have a DVD burner on my computer but have not got anything to turn out decent and the blanks are too $$$ to mess up
Grant

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that. I wouldn't think a big deal though, because MD and DAT decks have sample rate converters that, if good quality, don't compromise the digital signal that much...
You're right. I've used the sample rate converter on my MD machines to make CDs from 44.8K DVD audio streams and the difference is not noticable.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Grant- Not yet, and here's why: :)

Took me until Christmas 2001 to get a PC CD burner. I paid $99 for a 4x4x6 (or something) Iomega external unit. But then I went to town with EAC, CDRWIN, and a new ATAPI layer. Love it.

But since I got that bugger so recently, I need to wait a little while until I get some more use out of it to justify getting a DVD burner! Plus I still need to learn about the formats, and right: once DVD-blanks get cheap enough you can just throw them away like CD-R's if you burn a coaster, it will be a lot more enticing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks