What's new

Best Taco Seasoing Mix? (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I'm struggling to find a store mix of taco seasoning that actually tastes decent. Is there something in stores or on the web that others have found to be at least above average? Home recipes would be nice, but I don't have the time this month. I'm looking for something to go with all that Whirley Pop coconut oiled popcorn. :D

[Edit] Make that "Seasoning" Mix[/Edit]

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Lawry's with a little extra chili powder and garlic or onion powder is what I use to make Tacos, never tried it with popcorn.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
never tried it with popcorn
Clearly my question is not phrased correctly. I am planning on having the tacos separately. :b Popcorn seasoned with decent taco seasoning probably would taste better than the tacos I made tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Definatly Lawry's. I grew up in an area with a substantial Mexican population, and most of the old Mexican ladies I know used it :D
One thing is to not use too much. It says one packet per lb of meat, but I use half to three quarters of a packet.

-Marshall

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I like Ortega the best. For any seasoning, it's best if you prepare it hours in advance of when you plan on eating, which the instructions don't state. I also like Ortega's taco sauce the best.

~T

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Great thread! I have given up using seasoning on tacos as I couldnt find anything that tasted better than just plain ground beef.

I will give Lawry's a try if Stop and Shop has it.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I use a little Lawry's, but then I add an assortment of other stuff: crushed red pepper, chili powder, garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic), onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper.

I like 'em hot.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I second Ortega. Much better than Old El Paso. Actually, almost anything is... Green Mountain Gringo and Pace for the sauce...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ok, while these aren't authentic by any means they are pretty good if I say so myself:

Get a couple of those disposable aluminum broiler pans in the baking section (usually) of the market.

Also get a loaf of Kraft Mexican Velveeta and cut one 1/4 inch thick slice per taco, about 12 slices or so, and cut the slices in 2 to make "sticks".

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In large skillet brown 2 lb ground beef (15% fat), drain off fat periodically and cook until crumbly and add 2 packs Lawry's, a tablespoon or so of chili powder and a generous sprinkle of garlic powder, along with the water recommended on the Lawry's package, simmer until water boils off, stirring occasionally.

Heat 1/2 inch or a bit more of Canola or peanut oil to very hot in a smallish skillet, maybe 8 or 10 inch diameter. Fry corn tortillas (you'll need 12 or 15) in oil, about 8 to 10 seconds on a side (turn with tongs) and drain on paper towels (just layer them with towels between). You want them firmed up and maybe bubbled a bit but not hard or crispy. They may spatter a bit so you might want to hold the tongs with an oven mitt if your hands are sensitive. Try to find locally made tortillas rather than the store brand or corporate brands like Mission. This won't work with flour tortillas, only corn.

One at a time, Put a line of meat mixture (about 2 or 3 tablespoons) down the center of each tortilla and cover the line with Mexican Velveeta sticks (2 per taco). Fold up the sides and secure with toothpick, and place in rows on disposable broiler pan (the ridges on the broiler pans keep the bottoms from getting greasy/soggy and prevents "fallout" of the meat mixture).

Place pans on cookie sheets for rigidity and place in preheated oven for 10 or 15 minutes until the Mexican Velveeta melts down into the meat mixture.

Serve with ice cold diced tomato and shredded lettuce, and salsa of choice (I like a few drops of tobasco sauce on each taco). Use paper plates, preferably 2 Chinets as they absorb the grease best.

Leftover tacos are best rewarmed by wrapping tightly in foil and reheating for 15-20 minutes at 350 F in conventional oven, nuking makes the edges of the tortillas hard like cardboard.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
since I'm on the atkins thing sometimes I take some fajita mix and make steak fajitas and eat them with cheese and sour cream, no tortilla.. I'd prefer taco mix, but there's a lot of carbs in it :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks