Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Help me understand Terminator 2 Extreme's 1080p transfer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   RexW

RexW

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 12:51 PM

Hi all,

I'm eagerly anticipating the new release of Terminator 2 with the 1080p transfer.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could explain (hopefully simply, I've been in Japan for 10 years and the English ability has dropped dramatically Posted Image
what this 1080p transfer means and the benefits that it will have.
Also, should there be any noticeable improvement on the picture if I'm not using a digital TV or will I need to view this on a 1080p capable TV or projector.

Thanks in advance.
On the outside lookin' in....and it's funny!

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 01:29 PM

Rex,

Just a little confusion....the DVD is mastered from a 1080p HD master. This just boils down to a better, top-notch DVD video transfer. The actual film on DVD is only going to be 480i.

Now, apparently, there's going to be a Windows Media Player 9 HD version packaged in with the DVDs. Nothing official, but you'd need a nice PC to run that on.

Anyway, bottom line is that the new DVD will be light years ahead of any previous versions. No special equipment needed... Posted Image

Troy
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   RexW

RexW

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Troy,

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.
Just wanted to make sure of it.
I still am looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks again.
On the outside lookin' in....and it's funny!

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 02:59 PM

According to Amazon.com, the 1080p WM9 version of the film is official. At least it's listed in the specs on their pre-order page. No word yet on the bitrate, but WM9's HD compression codec is very CPU intesive.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:30 PM

How CPU intensive are we talking here? 1.5Ghz, 2ghz?

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:35 PM

From all reports I've read WM9 media containing Microsoft's Corona video compression codec is VERY CPU and RAM intensive.

Some have recommended a Pentium or equivalent processor of 2.8 GHz and above and more than 512 Megabytes of RAM.

If the clips from Microsoft's website are any indication of Corona's potential at low bitrates and the DVD Forum is considering this codec, we are in trouble here folks when it comes to HD-DVD.

Dan

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:05 PM

According to IGN's story tongight, it will require a 1.8 GHz Pentium IV or equivelant. Thsi is exactly what I have. Hopefully my 512 MB of memory will be sufficient.
My Collection

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:46 PM

I have downloaded some WMV encoded at HD resolutions, my AMD XP1700+ (256MB ram) takes a HUUUUGE hit. While normal uncomressed HD signals run fairly smoothly...

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 08:24 PM

1.8 is the BARE minimum to run it even slightly smoothly. I was able to get that Motown disc running on a 1.5 Ghz at work, but it'd pause every other minute or so. You also need a load of RAM.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 05:26 PM

I have a sample clip of the WM9 codec (Step Into Liquid trailer - 5.1Mbps, 720p) and it runs super smooth on my p2.4b, 512mb ram. 1080p sounds like a good bit more, but probably comparable bandwidth.

I think anyone with over a 2.2ghz cpu will be ok. If there's slowdown you can always overclock...

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
1080p WM9 version of the film is official
There's no way a 1080p WM9 compressed film will fit on a single DVD. All the MS guy said on AVSForum that it will be more than 720p, whatever that means- and there are serious doubts about that too. Remember, this is an anamorphic transfer, so nobody's quite clear on what the actual resolution will be- it has to be playable too.

I will be getting Standing in the Shadow of Motown next week, and since that's 4:3 it should be ok, even on my Athlon 1900+.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 04:46 AM

I thought they meant there'd be like a 30 second sample or something - why waste space on the disc for something next to noone can use?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 06:15 AM

Will,
I would not say next to no one. It depends on what the resolution really is but there are people out there that have HTPCs that can handle it. History suggests this to be a good idea because almost nobody could watch DVDs when they were first released and look at them now.
I for one am very excited with my new 2ghz 1gig HTPC and if I have to will overclock or replace the damn processor if need be to get that puppy running on my system!
Marc

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:22 AM

We'll just have to wait and see won't we folks.

Who knows...maybe it will demonstrate that we really *can* have full 1080P 24 fps high-quality images on red-laser DVD. We'll just have to wait and see!

dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Jon Hancock

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:36 AM

There's a lot of folks out there that use HTPC's extensively- in my home, there's two DVD playback systems based on computers (main living room, and my bedroom), and only one using a set top box DVD player (teenage daughter's Toshiba SD9000).

This WM9 release is something anyone with a PC can try out, and obviously, Micro$oft is trying to develop some word of mouth and traction for WM9- they have even submitted it as an encoding/decoding option for HD-DVD.

On my desktop and the HTPC's (all upgraded in the last year, MB's handed down for other applications), the "Step into Liquid" plays quite well, and all though it's not comparable to true transport stream HD (as played through my MyHD card), it's remarkably good for 5 MBs, (with sufficient processor and video power), and generally offers a marked step up in video detail over the high bit rate DVD's- which are running at twice the data rate (thing Superbit releases, or releases like Kevin Costner's WaterWorld, which is typically hovering between 8 and 10 MBits per second). So, I'm very curious to see WM9 at a higher encoded rate; indications from Microsoft are this will be pretty good...

So, this is an interesting bonus they're including, and for that reason alone, I'll buy this release. In fact, this woudl be an interesting clandestine way for Microsoft to build some buzz for WM9, because it's a free download, and anyone with a solid current HTPC could take advantage of it. (this presumes you have the display, too; mine are all 1280X720P capable).

Count me in, I'm jazzed. The HTPC people just don't happen to generally hang out over here, though.

Best regards,

Jon
Jon Hancock
jon.hancock@infineon.com
jonhancock@sbcglobal.net

Earth First..._______________________________________We'll screw up the other planets later

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 15 2003 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Who knows...maybe it will demonstrate that we really *can* have full 1080P 24 fps high-quality images on red-laser DVD. We'll just have to wait and see!
It will demonstate everything but the high-quality part, I'd imagine. All Corona video I've seen so far suffers from very noticable pixelation.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 09:16 AM

I'm one of those HTPC people and I couldn't run smoothly the newly encoded 6.9Mbps Liquid clip. I'll be damned if I'm going to upgrade my 1900+ when I can watch software decoded HDTV streams just fine. To my eyes WM9 doesn't even come close.

http://download.micr....f/liquid_2.exe

There's the 6.9Mbps encoded clip. It's 120MB.

http://download.micr....f/liquid_1.exe

Same clip- 5.5Mbps, 97MB.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 10:08 AM

Geez, Microsoft is getting involved with everything now.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 10:09 AM

Quote:
I will be getting Standing in the Shadow of Motown next week, and since that's 4:3 it should be ok...
Eric according to Amazon and DVDEmpire Standing in the Shadows of Motown will be 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen. Are you looking at deepdiscountdvd.com? They have it for cheap but it's 4:3.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted April 15 2003 - 10:48 AM

Hmm- Maybe I'm wrong. I could have sworn this one was shot in 4:3, but I found the studio release promo and it says 16:9 widescreen. I wonder if the DVD is 4:3 letterboxed? We'll see.

http://www.edu-cyber...tars/FBdvd.html

At any rate, there is only one DVD version, so I'm sure I'll get the right one from DDD.

Forum Nav Content I Follow