What's new

$500 CAD ($340 USD) for a 25" Television? (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Hello,

I have a friend that wants to purchase a new television for his room. Keep in mind he is not an audio nor videophile, he just wants a reasonably sized television to play Xbox in his room.

His budget is $500 CAD (about $340 USD) and he wants a 25" television.

I don't have much experience with television in this range, nor this size, so I'm not sure what are good performers in this price bracket.

Any help you can provide would be much appriciated.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I don't know how the prices compare between the U.S. and Canada, but almost anything in the 25" class can be had down here for that money, except maybe a high-end Sony Wega.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for more of, for example, a "X brand are considered good, but Y brand have quality issue's, or one has better inputs and outputs". That sort of thing, so I'll know what to keep an eye out for.

So far the top contender is the Toshiba 27A43 ($479 on sale for $429) which comes in just under $500 after tax (15% here)

Anybody have any opinions on this television?

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a Sharp 27incher for about $200US that has front Av inputs and an S input in the rear with a damned fine picture in my opinion. I have on in my bedroom and even watched letterboxed DVDs on it without a hint of regret. Take Care.

Rex Quinn

Agent
If you want a flat screen, any of the Toshiba models are great. I have the 24AF42 and it was about $550 CAD (if your friend doesn't mind going a bit over). I chose the Tosh over the Sony because i've heard numerous reports that their gemoetry is worse than the other brands.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Leons has a sale on 25 and 27" Samsung TV's. Nothing special I bet, but $299.00 for the 25" and $349.00 for the 27" is nothing to scoff at. Although for a bit more you could have a JVC 27" D series which are really nice :)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Checkout the Futureshop website. The have a JVC AV-27D304 27" D-Series TV. Very nice set. I'd say better than the Toshiba.

Kevin

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I believe the Toshiba 27" sets have been winning Consumer Reports comparisons for the last few years now. The 27A43 is a excellent set for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks