What's new

Resident Evil games could be heading to all platforms (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Good news if youre a fan of the series and like me dont own a Cube.

"A Japanese publication has reported Capcom may be reconsidering its relationship with Nintendo concerning Gamecube.

According to Nikkei Business Daily, Capcom will still be bringing Resident Evil 4 to GC exclusively, but the following titles are expected to be made for other platforms as well. The originally thought GC exclusives P.N.03, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe and Dead Phoenix were already reconfirmed to be multiformat titles in an embarrassing mix up.

The disappointing sales figures of the GC titles are said to be the reason behind this shift, while Capcom is said to want to increase the limited 1.5 per cent of overall sales that Xbox accounts for."

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Heh, looks like Capcom decided to rethink alienating 85% of it's target audience by putting Resident Evil on the Cube instead of the PS2.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
PS2 is already getting Resident Evil Online; how many other RE titles have they announced besides RE4?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
PS2 is already getting Resident Evil Online; how many other RE titles have they announced besides RE4?
I believe Resident Evil Online was considered an "offshoot" of the main RE series Masood, and was not part of the exclusivity deal that Capcom and Nintendo had with the single player Resident Evil titles. Hence its release on the PS2.

Besides that there have been no other Resident Evil titles announced except for the next game in the Gun Survivor series.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I thought the original plan was only to keep Resident Evil exclusive to the Gamecube only through part 4 anyway. I don't remember any announcements about following titles to be exclusive as well.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup, and the games have sold like crap compared to what they should have. Tht's why Capcom is ducking out

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...a remake, 2 extremely crappy ports, and a game that has been delayed for a few years sold poorly on the GameCube? Nah!

They still have to release RE:CV and RE4 (which is supposed to be amazing).

And even so, they could release RE4 on PS2/XB so long as they do so after a certain amount of time of it being on GCN only.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Perhaps somebody can explain to me exactly why every thread about the GameCube turns into a bash-session, yet if the same thing were tried in an X-Box game thread there'd be so many people calling foul that it'd sound like a henhouse... :rolleyes

Cameron I do believe you are correct about the series, Res Evil 4 was a guaranteed exclusive and then Capcom would reassess their position after that one was released.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I think the key here is the reassesment period. I suspect if Nintendo is willing to pony up enough cash, RE will continue to be GC only. If not, then they'll explore other options.

It makes sense for Capcom to do this. A lot like the $$$ dispute between James Gandolfini and HBO earlier this year. Until Gandolfini was willing to walk, HBO wasn't going to offer to double his salary. He would have been crazy to not keep making Sopranos episodes, but HBO would have been crazier to not just pay him a little more to keep making them.

I'm sure Nintendo will do what it needs to do, regardless of Capcom's stance.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I find it odd that this thread is focusing on the RE aspect of this story when there is nothing surprising there. The original Nikkei Business Daily article stated that RE4, at least, will still be a GC exclusive. Since RE4 won't be out until 2004 chances are any RE titles beyond that probably won't even be for this generation of consoles, so the GC exclusivity issue is moot.

This article is important because it claims that Capcom is going to shift away from its GC exclusivity and focus more on PS2 and Xbox development, but as far as RE is concerned this probably won't change anything.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Capcom has the RE games and that group of games they announced a few months ago going to the GameCube first (Viewtiful Joe, PN03, 3 others I think). They've got Onimusha 3, RE Online, the Capcom vs. games, MegaMan X7, and Street Fighter on PS2. The X-Box is getting some of the Vs. games, Dino Crisis 3, and Steel Battallion.

So yeah, the X-Box is getting screwed overall. The GameCube and PS2 are getting the most.

Then again, they put a lot of effort into the DC and it died...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks