What's new

drywall question (1 Viewer)

Keith M.

Second Unit
Im about to start drywall in my HT and have one question...

What should I do first the ceiling or the walls?

Or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance...

Chad Anson

Second Unit
You should do the ceilings first. Do yourself a favor and spend $35/day to rent a drywall lift for the ceiling. :)

Keith M.

Second Unit
Does Lowes deliver drywall?

How much do they charge for 1/2" boards?

The lift sounds like a good idea, does Lowes rent them?

Chad Anson

Second Unit
If Lowes doesn't deliver, check the yellow pages for free a drywall/sheetrock supplier. Most will deliver if you spend a certain amount -- usually only $250 or $300.

FYI, most drywall panel lifts break down and can fit into the trunk of your car.

**Edited to add the "free" part**

I've had good luck with construction supply places and delivery. They are used to delivering to new homesites that often don't have driveways yet. They really know how to work those loaders.

JoshuaR

Agent
Both Lowes and HD delivers for approx $50, as much stuff as you want in one load. They will NOT however take it to your basement or anywhere else in the house. They will bring it to your house and leave it on the front doorstep or in front of the garage, etc. Thier insurance will not let them step foot inside your house.

I just had 20 sheets of 5/8" drywall and 10 - 8' sections of fence delivered last weekend. Caution - Drywall is HEAVY! :thumbsdown:

Raceen

Agent
I second that. Lowes delivers (charged me $35 for everything). So, make it a one time deal. If you want to save some money, Lowe's and Menards have trucks you can rent for about $20 for 2 hours.

Good luck!

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend looking into a building materials supply company. Cheaper and they will likely deliver into the house.

Even if had been more expensive (total cost was probably marginally cheaper than HD or Lowes), getting 95 sheets of drywall (I am doing 5 rooms in the basement) brought into the house is a *very* good thing. :)

Raceen

Agent
Holy smokes, that's alot of dry wall!!

Would anybody have any tips on how to sand the mud down and not get dust everywhere. I just put up two walls in an already finished basement and don't want to get dust on my TV and Pool table! Could I wet-sand drywall??

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
No. You can't wet-sand drywall.

I'm afraid you'll have to cover everything. You can try a power sander with vacuum attachment, but I don't think these things are 100% effective...

Dave

BrianKR

Second Unit
bummer raceen,
you should've used a skim coat if you wanted to eliminate dust. I just got done hanging my 70th and final sheet of drywall 10 minutes ago. My new HT room is almost done!:emoji_thumbsup:

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Those vacuum end sanders may not be 100% effective, but is probably a significant improvement (at least according to some other posts that I've read). For $35, it's not too big of a risk.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to go out to hometime.com or one of the other handyman DIY sites. They have helpful hints for hanging drywall. Which is the easy part.

Mudding is a different story. I am assuming this is your first time with drywall and mud. You might want to try poly mess tape rather than paper tape. It is much easier to work with and it wont blister. Others have reported that the fiberglass mess tape will cause hair line cracks because it doesnt flex as the wall expands and contracts. The poly type is more flexible. I used it 2 years ago and no hair line cracks yet. They usually show up within the first year.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
If you properly apply the skim coat then you should have little or no sanding. I which case those water filtered vacs work good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks