-

Photo
- - - - -

What would it take for you to buy Nintendo's next console?

Nintendo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#41 of 57 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,940 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:21 AM

With the exception for playing old school fighting games I prefer the newer controllers. Given the choice of playing Halo on a six button controller or a Capcom fighter on my X Box controller I'd take the latter. It would be a good idea to release the old style controllers as a $25 accessory but I wouldn't want one as standard equipment.

#42 of 57 OFFLINE   Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:38 AM

Is anyone who's getting the GBA Player also picking up the Hori digital pad? It has a larger D-pad and the Z-button on the face, though the button layout is the same as the GameCube controller.

#43 of 57 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:56 AM

Quote:
Is anyone who's getting the GBA Player also picking up the Hori digital pad? It has a larger D-pad and the Z-button on the face, though the button layout is the same as the GameCube controller.

Yes! Most definitely.

#44 of 57 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
With the exception for playing old school fighting games I prefer the newer controllers. Given the choice of playing Halo on a six button controller or a Capcom fighter on my X Box controller I'd take the latter. It would be a good idea to release the old style controllers as a $25 accessory but I wouldn't want one as standard equipment.

Why not just ignore the extra buttons? (As long as the controller still had the appropriate shoulder buttons, of course)
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#45 of 57 OFFLINE   David Lee

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 12:03 PM

I would probably buy a new Nintendo system no matter what. But, I think they need to pay big bucks for exclusives, like Sony and Microsoft have done. Virtua Fighter exclusive would have been huge in Japan. Grand Theft Auto exclusive would be huge in the US. People buy PS2 for the exclusives like Final Fantasy, Tekken,etc.

#46 of 57 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:07 PM

Quote:
What would it take for you to buy Nintendo's next console?

They would simply have to release it.
-J.Fo

#47 of 57 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 05:16 PM

the name nintendo...as it will be the only console I will be able to play a new mario, zelda, or metroid on.

The name alone makes me want one.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#48 of 57 OFFLINE   Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:56 PM

All it would take would be Metroid, but I'm definitely of the opinion that cheaper is better. Let Xbox2/PS3 battle for technological supremacy; offer me a $100-150 console with a Metroid game and I'll deal with memory cards/lack of internet support/ProLogic sound.

I'd love to see a Wavebird-style controller become the standard, though.

#49 of 57 OFFLINE   Tim Hess

Tim Hess

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 07:33 PM

A new controller, new (core) technology, classic series updates, new franchises and tons of gameplay.

You know, what they do every time they make a new console Posted Image

#50 of 57 OFFLINE   florence franks

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 09:07 PM

If was alot more like snes then n64/cube. The magic died with snes, so many, many beautiful games on that system. When games were really art. Heck how old is GC and only real epic or emotional rpg is Arcadia? Great as that is, not even new adventure.

#51 of 57 OFFLINE   Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 08:41 AM

I can identify with Florence's plea. I can remember the Mode-7 games on the SNES, and how amazing it was to look at that sort of (primitive) scaling. I loved how much the SNES tried to push the technology curve ahead of everything else - there wasn't anything remotely like F-Zero, Super Mario Land or the cartridges with special 3-D chipsets built in (what was the name of the game where you ran some weird cars in 3D environments, which used this chipset? I can't remember).

Still, after owning my GC for a while I can safely say I would NOT trade it for an Xbox (I'd get both systems if I could, though). The games are too quirky (Pikmin, Mario Party IV), too engrossing (Metroid Prime), and too addicting (Pikmin, yet again) for me to part ways with it.

Long story short - if Nintendo ever releases a new console, I'll buy it. No questions asked.

Quid, me anxius sum?

#52 of 57 OFFLINE   Philip_S

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 06:08 PM

For the GB player, the only thing the Z button does is bring up the options. For gameplay, it's pretty much useless.

#53 of 57 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 10:36 AM

Ive never had two game systems at a time. Only had a Genisis, Only had a N64. Only a DC after that. But then I had X-box and GC for around 6 months together and i realized why i dont have more then 1. I dont have enough time to play two consoles let alone 3. Ill probably get the next x-box-however i always consider any NES system. Just have some good games at launch which are addicting, online play and ill be happy

capt

#54 of 57 OFFLINE   Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 02:31 AM

I would probably buy it no matter what but I would expect to see 1080i support and a digital audio output w/ in-game 5.1 sound.

Mark

#55 of 57 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 02:35 AM

Really exceptional technological superiority. Especially since sports games for the GameCube are drying up; if there isn't much to choose from in the way of baseball games for the next Nintendo console, that's a major blow against it.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#56 of 57 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,143 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
sports games for the GameCube are drying up; if there isn't much to choose from in the way of baseball games for the next Nintendo console, that's a major blow against it
The main reason is probably because the PS2 and X-Box have internet connectivity or people already have one of those consoles and buy the games for those platforms.

But honestly, how many people buy a GameCube thinking "I can't wait for the first baseball game to try out on this thing!" Many people buy it because of Nintendo's games, the connectivity features, or the few third-party exclusives it gets, not because of games that are on every console.

And I'm not sure baseball games are really THAT important to the GameCube. Maybe in Japan, where everyone is gaga about baseball.

#57 of 57 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 10:54 AM

Morgan, I wasn't talking about everyone or a representative sample thereof. I was talking about me.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow