What's new

What would it take for you to buy Nintendo's next console? (1 Viewer)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Ok, almost everyone in the other Nintendo thread in this forum seems to think Nintendo is about go get out of the console business....

So, I would ask you this? What would it take for you to buy Nintendo's next console. There is a rumor on Magic Box stating that Nintendo is looking to get a jump on the competition with their next console and release before Sony and Microsoft. What would it take for you to choose their console over Microsoft and Sony?

1080i or even better 1080p support? Dolby Digital EX? DTS? A major 3rd party publisher like Rockstar making GTA4, or Square/Enix making FFXIII an exclusive title? 2.4 GHz wireless controllers standard?

What would it take?

Glen

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
A good selection of games, including Nintendo's flagship series (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc.), with backward compatability with GameCube.

paul h

Supporting Actor
A selection of completely new games instead of reusing their old franchises over and over.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Time for Nintendo to have their console act more like an entertainment hub like the PS2 and Xbox. Also - they need to consider backward compatability b/c the PS3 and Xbox 2 will.

-bruce

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
A must-have launch title and the promise of a few blockbuster first-party titles (a new Zelda and Metroid specifically).

BTW, I'd rather shell out $99-$149 for a new Nintendo console than $299 for a new Nintendo media hub.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. That's the reason I got a Cube, and I'd buy their next console for those games as well. Add a couple other great first party games to the mix and you're set.

Of course, in an ideal world, Microsoft would buy Nintendo, and the first party Nintendo games would become Xbox2 exclusives, but I think that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
They'd have to go one of two directions:

1. Make compelling hardware advances (ala XBox this generation) and have good third party games to complement their first party, or

2. Make compelling first party games (and a lot of them at or near release date, where the heck is Kart for the Cube???) and make it cheap. I'd have bought a Cube if it was bundled w/ a good first party game like Party 4 (which my SO wants) but only if it were $99 or so. $150 (and then you have to factor in cables and controller, that's close to $200) is too much for that one game...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Same criteria for any other console. If the games for it are fun, it's a done deal. I play the hell out of my GameCube. Its easily used 10 times more than my PS2. And I don't have an XBox because none of the games on that system appeal to me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think we should see what they're going to do with the GameCube first. It's not even online yet.

But the Nintendo name is good enough for me.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I feel you are asking this question in earnest, and I will answer you in kind. Truthfully there is very little about the Gamecube that interests me, but in the interests of "if you can't say anything nice..." I have not talked much about it here. However, since you ask:

* First and foremost, the things I take for granted in my Xbox are a given: included hard drive, four controller ports, ability to play DVDs, progressive scan support, in-game Dolby Digital, all the stuff that MS already does. If I'm going to buy a new system I don't want to lose functionality.

* A robust online network and compelling software to take advantage of it. Xbox Live has transformed my gaming experience and after the excitement and fellowship of playing online with voice communication I would not want to go back to strictly offline play.

* A console that doesn't look so ridiculous. Look, I'm a 31-yr-old guy with a wife and family. I simply don't want to play games on a little purple cube. I have friends and family over a lot and none of them are gamers. It's hard enough convincing them that video games are a viable source of entertainment for a grown man without something that looks like it should have "Fisher Price" stamped on the side of it belying my arguments. Is that superficial? Perhaps. So?

* Finally, and most importantly of course, is software. There simply have to be games that I enjoy playing. That does not include yet another Mario or yet another Zelda. I played the heck out of those games when I was younger, but the later iterations just don't interest me at all. One of the most thrilling videogame experiences of my life was when Ocarina of Time was announced and I was first in line to buy and play it. At first it was exciting, but to my great consternation I found it got boring and repetitive almost immediately. To this day it's my only game on the N64 that I never finished, despite numerous attempts to "get into it". Nowadays I find my taste runs towards sports games, shooters, action games, and RPGs. These have been in short supply on the GCN.

Now, you can argue that the Cube does get those titles eventually, but the point that has been raised over and over in the other thread is that Nintendo systems are engineered primarily to play Nintendo games. That's what they are good at, and that's what sells them. And I am just not interested in many (any?) first-party titles right now. 10 years ago, yes, but not anymore.

So, there you go. A serious answer to what I trust was a legitimate question. Those are the reasons I don't and will never have a Gamecube, and they are also the things that will have to change in order for me to buy whatever Nintendo puts out next.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I think Dave F pretty much nailed my point of view very well. The problem I have with Nintendo is that sure, a few of the 1st party titles look cool to me (Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil) but a lot more of them seem just too close to the last iterations (Mario Sunshine, Zelda WW) or just not what I like to play (Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario Party.)

So even though there are repeitive or boring titles for all 3 consoles, with PS2 or Xbox there are enough titles in general to pick and chose the best. The GC is quickly slipping into the role of N64 part 2 for me: you wait 3-6 months for the next 1st party title. If it isn't one you want to play, then you are doubly screwed cause you have another 3-6 months to wait again. N64 was the most frustrating console I have ever owned (even beyond 3DO).

Also I would have to say that the Xbox has completely spoiled my expectations for video and sound. If it isn't at least 480p, 5.1 sound, and has a HD with DVD/CD reader, I'm just not interested (even if it was Xbox2 and didn't have these items, I would just keep the Xbox 1.)

If Nintendo was willing to show a greater commtment to attracting more 3rd party titles, drop the kiddie image, and upgrade the features mentioned above, I would consider them a viable choice again.

PS - Uh Dave, you know that GC comes in Platnum and Black as well, right?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This is long, let me warn you. Don't be insulted or mad at me, I'm just showing my rationalizations against your points for why I would buy another Nintendo console.
If Nintendo was willing to show a greater commtment to attracting more 3rd party titles, drop the kiddie image, and upgrade the features mentioned above, I would consider them a viable choice again
I agree about 3rd party support (though the Capcom deal is pretty nice, plus all the future Capcom games they announced for GCN first), but the second part I think they're trying to fix now. They have Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 0 and 1 all released within a year, plus RE2, 3, CV, and 4 (exclusive), and some other games I'm forgetting. They're making Pokemon still, but they're trying to drop the kiddie image and make a more universal image.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
few if any game use prog. scan and DVDs can't use it at all
Most Xbox games are 480p (the "p" is for progressive scan) and DVDs are natively 480p, but need progressive scan players to display at that rate. Some GC titles are also progressive scan (Rogue Leader II, Zelda).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks