-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

300 Spartans Canceled by Fox?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 01:53 AM

I had this on order with DVD Empire. I've been notified by them that Fox canceled this release. Can anyone confirm this elsewhere. Thanks.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#2 of 32 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,245 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 09 2003 - 01:57 AM

Amazon has a June 3 release date.

http://www.amazon.co....roduct-details

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#3 of 32 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,169 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:26 AM

I certainly hope not as I was eagerly anticipating this release. DVD Planet still has it up with a 5/20/03 release date and it even has the cover art up on its site.

Seems unlikely that Fox would cancel a title so close to its release date (next month). Worst case scenario, let's hope they've only pushed back the release date until further notice.

#4 of 32 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:22 AM

I also received that e-mail. This is the second title that Fox has cancelled (the Enemy Below was the other). I'm sure DVD Empire wouldn't send out the e-mail if it wasn't true. Fox hasn't said anything more about the Enemy Below so I think we'll be in the dark about this too.

#5 of 32 John Fleming

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:09 AM

If this is true, this is very disappointing news indeed. Fox, if it's being cancelled or delayed, please show some courtesy (or whatever you wish to call it) and make an official announcement soon regarding this before we all have our hopes dashed at the last minute. Folks, let's keep our fingers crossed.

#6 of 32 BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:20 AM

Yep, got the same email from DVDEmpire about 300 Spartans. But I must give a thumbs up to DVDEmpire for not removing a coupon from my order with the cancellation. Since the title was cancelled it put my order total below the minimum purchase requirements for the coupon, but at least DVDEmpire made sure I didn't lose the discount. I know with many other stores it would have been lost with the cancelled title, and I would be on the phone arguing with customer service today.

#7 of 32 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:40 AM

Brian,
Hope you don't mind me asking;
Ever been too Susanville?

If not, pardon.
Still, enjoy those great Fallbrook avocados!

Bummed, about The 300 Spartans!Posted Image
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#8 of 32 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,334 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:07 AM

I hope this isn't true. This was high on my most wanted Pre-Orders.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#9 of 32 Peter Staddon

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:11 AM

300 Spartans was delayed as there is a "problem" with the master that we are looking to fix. The restoration work done by the team here is so good on this title it drew attention to a specific issue that we are now looking at.Sorry to be vague.

The Enemy Below is a title we no longer have rights to!

Sorry for the confusion,

Peter Staddon

#10 of 32 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the explanation Peter!

Bummed about the Enemy Below however. This title is coming out in Region 2 however, I wonder if that will be canceled too.

#11 of 32 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
That's a shame. Any idea who has the rights and if they have any plans for it?
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#12 of 32 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Peter!

Bummed about the Enemy Below however. This title is coming out in Region 2 however, I wonder if that will be canceled too.
Thanks Peter. That explanation is specific enough for me, thanks for the candor. I find it interesting that Fox is no longer the rights holder on "The Enemy Below". I wonder who has the R1 rights now????

I purchased a R2 Japanese version of the film from
CD Japan recently & it has Fox's name & logos all over it. Hmmmmmm! Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum

#13 of 32 BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
Brian,
Hope you don't mind me asking;
Ever been too Susanville?

If not, pardon.
Still, enjoy those great Fallbrook avocados!

Never been to Susanville, or know exactly where it is located. Why do you ask?

There are a lot of avocados here. Unfortunately we have only one tree on our property, and it doesn't produce much fruit. We usually have to buy them at the store if we want one.

#14 of 32 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,585 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the update Peter. 300 Spartans is very high on my pre-order list too - I'm glad it can safely stay there (for a while Posted Image ).

Cees

#15 of 32 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,352 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 09 2003 - 09:49 AM

Why do I get the feeling that this title along with "The Hunters" has reverted to the estate of Dick Powell? Anyhow, at least we know the scoop on these two titles.

Peter,
Do you have an update on "The Grapes of Wrath" and "My Darling Clementine"?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 32 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
Peter,
Do you have an update on "The Grapes of Wrath" and "My Darling Clementine"?
I'm curious too.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#17 of 32 Richard Ringenbach

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 10:24 AM

Peter,
Thanks for the update! This is one of my priority movies to obtain on dvd. I hope it won't be delayed too long. Thank you Fox for bringing this movie out on dvd,I can hardly wait to get it.

Richard Ringenbach

#18 of 32 Gerry A

Gerry A

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the update Peter! I'm glad that the title is still coming out. I've been intrigued by this title ever since comics god Frank Miller named 300 Spartans as the primary inspiration for his magnum opus "300" from Dark Horse. A great piece of work. Anybody interested in it ought to get the hardcover because it presents the story as it was meant to be seen....WIDESCREEN!! No shit!

Posted Image

#19 of 32 John Fleming

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:06 PM

Peter, thanks a million for the (quick) response...and some people wonder why HTF holds Fox Studios in such high regard. While this is off topic, I just want to say that we don't take for granted the fact that you take the time to communicate directly with us. Please tell your superior(s) that we at HTF say you deserve a raise Posted Image

More specifically, thanks for the good news regarding this "sword and sandal" classic...can't wait until the release. By the way, a bit of trivia/info regarding Richard Egan who played Spartan King Leonidas in the film. Although Egan was not an 'A list' (or great) actor, the IMDB states that he was very well educated as he attended and taught at Northwestern and received a Masters degree from Stanford. He also was known for assisting struggling actors in getting their big break...pretty cool, especially considering the fact that his own acting skills were somewhat limited.

Gerry A, from your comments it appears you've never seen The 300 Spartans; Citizen Kane it ain't Posted Image , but expect to see an entertaining film with some pretty impressive battle scenes and a memorable score. And while Egan's skills as an actor may have been limited, he was perfect (in my opinion) as the noble Spartan king. Enjoy.

#20 of 32 Peter Staddon

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 07:29 AM

We have tracked down a new source for Grapes of Wrath and will be releasing a fully restored version in the next 12 months as part of the studio classics line up.

Peter Staddon

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow