Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Price reduction for Splash?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 08:28 PM

Splash was released on DVD in March 1999. It's non-anamorphic and has jack for special features. Yet the MSRP is $29.99. The only was I've found to get it for under $20 is to import from Canada, and it's not much under then. This seems rather high for a 19-year-old movie.

Any chance they'll halve the MSRP anytime soon? Disney done this with a lot oof their early catalog titles like Adventures in Babysitting. Or better yet, any chance of a rerelease with a new anamorphic transfer and maybe a trailer or something?
My Collection

#2 of 8 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 08:50 PM

Better still, Touchstone could re-release the film with the same features that are on the Region 2 (UK) disc:
  • 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 audio
  • Commentary track (Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Babaloo Mandel and Lowell Ganz IIRC)
  • "Making a Splash" featurette
  • Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah audition tapes

#3 of 8 Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:17 AM

This dvd is out of print and the current price for this on ebay is much higher than $20.00.

#4 of 8 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:19 AM

Buena Vista are supposed to be releaseing a "special edition" soon, aren't they?
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#5 of 8 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,382 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:28 AM

That DVD is indeed marked in BV's website in a manner consistant with Out-Of-Print titles. The VHS is still in-print, but not the DVD.

No mention there of an announced SE version.

The SRP field is marked N/A...anyone can charge whatever the market will bear.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 8 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:46 AM

the search function isnt working at the moment, but there was a thread in which it was announced that an SE of SPLASH was due this year...(Summer)?
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#7 of 8 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:50 AM

I don't think an announcement has been made, only assumptions - mainly from comments at last year's Oscar ceremony from Ron Howard about recording a Splash commentary for "a new DVD".

This may have been for the R2 release (undoubtedly it was) but I can't see Disney sitting on an unused commentary track for long...
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#8 of 8 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
This may have been for the R2 release (undoubtedly it was) but I can't see Disney sitting on an unused commentary track for long...

They've been sitting on commentaries for both Copland and He Got Game for a long time now. In the case of Copland, the commentary was done in 1998. Isn't there also a Ridley Scott commentary that was done for the G.I. Jane laserdisc 4 or 5 years ago?

Jeff