Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Price reduction for Splash?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 08:28 PM

Splash was released on DVD in March 1999. It's non-anamorphic and has jack for special features. Yet the MSRP is $29.99. The only was I've found to get it for under $20 is to import from Canada, and it's not much under then. This seems rather high for a 19-year-old movie.

Any chance they'll halve the MSRP anytime soon? Disney done this with a lot oof their early catalog titles like Adventures in Babysitting. Or better yet, any chance of a rerelease with a new anamorphic transfer and maybe a trailer or something?
My Collection

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 08:50 PM

Better still, Touchstone could re-release the film with the same features that are on the Region 2 (UK) disc:
  • 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 audio
  • Commentary track (Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Babaloo Mandel and Lowell Ganz IIRC)
  • "Making a Splash" featurette
  • Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah audition tapes

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:17 AM

This dvd is out of print and the current price for this on ebay is much higher than $20.00.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:19 AM

Buena Vista are supposed to be releaseing a "special edition" soon, aren't they?
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:28 AM

That DVD is indeed marked in BV's website in a manner consistant with Out-Of-Print titles. The VHS is still in-print, but not the DVD.

No mention there of an announced SE version.

The SRP field is marked N/A...anyone can charge whatever the market will bear.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:46 AM

the search function isnt working at the moment, but there was a thread in which it was announced that an SE of SPLASH was due this year...(Summer)?
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 04:50 AM

I don't think an announcement has been made, only assumptions - mainly from comments at last year's Oscar ceremony from Ron Howard about recording a Splash commentary for "a new DVD".

This may have been for the R2 release (undoubtedly it was) but I can't see Disney sitting on an unused commentary track for long...
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
This may have been for the R2 release (undoubtedly it was) but I can't see Disney sitting on an unused commentary track for long...

They've been sitting on commentaries for both Copland and He Got Game for a long time now. In the case of Copland, the commentary was done in 1998. Isn't there also a Ridley Scott commentary that was done for the G.I. Jane laserdisc 4 or 5 years ago?

Jeff