What's new

Spades/Banana plugs for Home Depot 12g wire (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I just read on the forum that the "standard" AR banana plugs wouldn't fit on the thick 12g wire. Anyone know any connectors that work with this wire?

Thanks, Aaron

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
There are plenty. What's your budget?

I'm using these, which are good down to 10 gauge (and cost $3.50 per set, or $2.90 per set if you buy 10+):

If you like separates, you can get these which can take 10 gauge through the back, or 8 gauge through the side:

They're $3.45 per pair, or $3.25 in quantities of 10+.
They have a floating slug too, so they might be a better choice than the ones I have.

There's a whole list of banana plugs in the connectors section:

PartsExpress

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

BTW, I think the "connected" ones are pretty cool. Are they a pretty standard width so that they fit in most receivers?

Aaron

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I would recommend not getting the connected sets. While the spacing may be fairly typical on the backs of receivers I have found that they are not always the same on the backs of speakers. My Maggies are a fair bit differnet on the back than my Rockets or the Thiels I demo'd.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Yeah, my speakers also have widely spaced binding posts. I guess you could go for 1 set of each per speaker wire. I'm picking up a bunch of the separated ones for my speakers.

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
any other sites that sell the plugs for cheap? i added some plugs and set of rca's on partsexpress.com and shipping was $9.50!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Shipping is a Biotch at PE, even if you order in bulk. I once got a coupon for free shipping worth $20 there but it expired too fast. :frowning:

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Definitely better to save up what you need to get from them before buying. I just ordered today. 14 pairs of the separate plugs, 5 of the connected, 100' of speaker wire, and a marinco 5-15p plug, and shipping was $12.64. Kinda sad 1 plug is $9.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
From what I can tell, the wire seems to go in from the side, and then you screw it in from the back. Or something like that. Not really how I pictured connecting them.

Aaron

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The two piece Radio Shack jobs work well. They are a knock off on the Monster Cable 2 piece QD units.

They don't require soldering. You unscrew the plug, thread about 1/2" of bare wire up through the middle of the bottom piece and fold just the very tip of the bare wire over the top lip and then screw the top piece back on. It forms a compression fit and squeezes the wire against the top lip of the bottom piece. It's very snug and secure when done properly.

The RS plugs will easily take one 12 gauge, or two 14 gauge (if you are bi-wiring). They are almost 1/2 the cost of the Monster units and almost as nice - the only thing they are missing is a rubber finger grip on the bottom piece (RS is knurled), and serrated teeth on the top lip (RS is smooth). Other than that, pretty much the same thing. Gold plated too.

Regards,

Ed

kevitra

Second Unit
The connected plugs don't fit into my Denon 3802, so Denon owners beware.

I also prefer the plugs Scott Kriefall suggested. I have them for my Denon and they work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks