Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blown SA-WM40 question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   James Grasso

James Grasso

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 09:07 AM

Okay, I have a sa-wm40 with an amp that is intensely broken. I recently stumbled across another wm40 that is listed as "blown." My question is thus: Is there any chance that a rattle coming from the "blown" sub could still be around if I switched out the drivers? I am looking for an easy/cheap way to replace or fix my sub and this seems to be the easiest way if it will work.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted April 08 2003 - 09:21 AM

It could be the 'blown' sub has a blown amp, not a blown driver.. Actually, given the WM40's relatively low powered amp I'd say that's likely. Aren't woofers generally blown by too much power and tweeters by not enough (ie distortion)?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   James Grasso

James Grasso

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 10:20 AM

That's why I ask, I'm not sure about exactly what caused the damage, I think it could have been not related at all to the power (i.e. not actually "blown" but instead, just broken). Don't know if there's any way to tell from the sound what exactly is wrong--whether driver or amp. I'm obviously not too well educated on this, so any info is pretty much new to me.