What's new

Some general DirecTV / Tivo questions. (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

looks like i'm finally gonna bite the bullet and get this setup. of course, i gotta ask the experts to make sure i'm doing this right.
  1. the tivo and directtv are integrated into one box correct?
  2. this setup can work in two rooms? do i need one box for each room?
  3. any particular model numbers to look for?
  4. can i just go to any store to get this?[/list=1]

i'm sure i'll have more questions as i go along, so be gentle with me. this is my first time. :b

thx!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
1. They can be but do not have to be. If you can get locals over DTV, then get the combo box. If not, you should get seperate boxes.

2. Don't know for sure. My SA Tivo can send video to a second rooom since it has multiple video outputs, but can not have different programs in different rooms. The newer combo boxes with 2 tuners may allow this.

3. Don't have #'s handy.

4. Yes.

BGL

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. If you can get locals over satellite then get the DirecTivo. If you aren't close enough to Sacremento to qualify for local, you aren't out of luck. You can change your service address to an area that does qualify while keeping the billing address as your real address.

2. Even though there are two tuners on the combo boxes, there is only one MPEG decoder. All of the outputs (RF, composite & s-video) show the same thing. I use channel modulators to send the video to other TVs.

3. Current model is the Hughes HDVR2. Samsung and Philips have both announced new models but no details. If it is like the series one models, they are all made on the same assembly line and internally they are the same. There are rumors of one offering more recording time but you can upgrade any of the models yourself (and void the warranty).

4. Best Buy, Circuit City and other large chain stores have them. Some DirecTV dealer/installers have them also.

-Robert

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx guys.

it sounds like the two room thing may be a road-block. i'll have to check into that.

local channels are also pretty important...didn't think about that either.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Ted,

We just got a setup ourselves, with one DirectTivo and one normal receiver. Including the 18x20 dish to get signals from all three satellites it just cost about $320. Look around on the web for offers, that should save you some money.

Also, disregard what Brian said about separate boxes, that's nonsense with DirectTV, because the DirectTivo can record two programs at the same time, offers true DD 5.1 sound, and there is no loss of PQ because it really just saves the signals from the satellite right onto its harddisk. A separate SA Tivo can't do all that.

-Christian

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
christian -

any reason you went with one regular unit and one tivo?

i think that's what i want to do because the second receiver will go in the bedroom for infrequent viewing. i doubt we'll need a full blown setup in the bedroom.

since the directivo can record two shows at once that solves most of my problems.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Ted, just so that you're aware — if you want a DirecTiVo with two tuners AND a separate receiver in another room, you'll need at a minimum a dual-LNB dish and a multi-switch.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx dmitry - i think i get the dual-lnb dish and two receivers (one for each room correct?), but what's a multi-switch?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Ted,

We didn't really need another DirecTivo, plus I don't recall a package deal with two Tivos. That's really all. :)

If you get the elliptical 18x20 dish, it has a multi-switch built-in. It allows you to have a max of 4 tuners connected, so two for the Tivo and one or two for additional plain receivers.

-Christian

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Multi-switch is a device that takes in two or more LNB feeds and multiplies the output. I have a 2 in, 4 out switch which I use to hookup my dual-tuner DTiVo and a second receiver. There are models that produce more outputs if you need that. As Christian pointed out, some dishes have multi-switch built in (in other words, they have more outputs than they have LNBs). So when you are ready to get your equipment, make sure that you get one — be it built-in or standalone.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
In the two rooms, do you want to watch the different things in the different rooms?

I have an output from my living room DirecTiVo (the word often used for the combo DirecTV/TiVo box) to my office. It works great except on those rare instances that I'm in my office wanting to watch something on the TiVo and my wife and/or kid are in the living room wanting to watching something else on the TiVo.

-Steve

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
so a multi-switch is sort like a fancy splitter. okay...got it.

steve - YES, that is the primary reason i want a two room setup. my girlfriend watches crap so i need to get outta there! ;) so you're just running a video feed to your office?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sorry jeff - you lost me. ;) that link appears to be related to some sort of home networking deal???

are you saying that for me to watch/record in the living room, but just watch in the bedroom i need TWO tivo boxes? that doesn't sound right...???

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Also, disregard what Brian said about separate boxes, that's nonsense with DirectTV, because the DirectTivo can record two programs at the same time, offers true DD 5.1 sound, and there is no loss of PQ because it really just saves the signals from the satellite right onto its harddisk. A separate SA Tivo can't do all that.
My comment was specifically related to whether or not he could get locals over the satellite. If so, you are correct, DirecTivo is the way to go.

There are still a few places in the USA where DTV has opted to NOT provide local into local.......which sucks. Can you guess what is available where I live?:angry:

So, if that is the case and he can't get locals on DTV, an SA Tivo is a much better choice, assuming he wants to record anything on his locals.

And the perceived loss of picture quality (SA versus DirecTivo) is way overstated.

Of course YMMV.

Brian

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Ted,

Jeff's post is about a new option for standalone TiVo Series 2 boxes, where you can tie them into the network and then watch remotely. But yes, you still need two different recorders; it doesn't work with DirecTiVo combo-box and the cost is $99 per receiver.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Brian,

I wasn't trying to offend you, but the three distinct advantages I mentioned are serious cons to a SA Tivo IMHO opinion, of course.

Personally, I'd rather get a cheap used SA Tivo specifically for the locals, if I were in the position you mentioned.

Cheers, :)

-Christian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
No problem Christian.

Believe me, if they just stuck a freakin' RF tuner in the DirecTivo, I would have bought one the day they came out!

Now I am salivating for a HD Tivo (I have an HD capable set and an OTA HD tuner, but they don't play nice with Tivo), but again, the box better have a DTV HD Tuner, and OTA ATSC Tuner, and an OTA NTSC Tuner.

Fortunately, everything I have read says that this will be the way at least some of the boxes are configured.....I pray they don't cost more than a grand. HD is so very cool, but I can not get my wife to give up Tivo to watch HD programs in real time.

BGL

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Now I am salivating for a HD Tivo (I have an HD capable set and an OTA HD tuner, but they don't play nice with Tivo), but again, the box better have a DTV HD Tuner, and OTA ATSC Tuner, and an OTA NTSC Tuner.
If I'm not mistaken, all current HD set-top boxes combine OTA and DTV HD tuners. Also, since OTA HD is already encoded, they wouldn't have the problem I mentioned above. So I believe that HDDirecTiVo or whatever they call it when it comes out will indeed have all these capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks