What's new

Geoff Crammond working on new Stunt Car Racer (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Great news, especially if like me you loved the original game!!

"Provisionally titled Stunt Car Racer Pro, the game will be an evolution of the renowned late 80s hit Stunt Car Racer and set for 2004. A sequel or upgrade to Stunt Car Racer has been suggested by various third parties over the years but I could never agree to anything which didn't have my complete involvement at every level, said Crammond. My commitment to Formula One simulations over the past few years was very intensive and just didn't allow me to work on any other projects. Now, the time seems just about perfect to produce Stunt Car Racer Pro."

"John Cook of Bad Management, Crammond's business manager, said: A new version of Stunt Car Racer is one of the most anticipated driving games ever. The game has exceptionally high brand recognition among opinion formers and we have a new take on multiplayer/Internet play which will make Stunt Car Racer Pro a genuine AAA title next year."

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
This was one of the games I had almost forgot how much I loved (although I also remember the frustration)

Now that I think about it, I am kinda surprised it hasn't been ripped off already (or maybe it has and I just missed it)

I hope they keep the season system as it was, one of the strengts with it IMO was that it was possible to actually finish a season in one sitting. I guess this is what makes it so fitting for multiplayer as well.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Wow! I haven't thought about that game is YEARS! That was a very addictive game, and pretty tough too. I think I played it on the Amiga.

Could be a really cool remake if they get the physics down and keep the core gameplay; racing around the crazy tracks, true to it's roots.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Doh, I came in here thinking this was a remake of Nintendo's Stunt Race FX. :frowning: Oh well if this plays anything like San Fran Rush I'll give it a try.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
This was one of my most favorite games on the Amiga.

Imagine a car race against the computer. Two souped up vehicles with suspensions that take damage, turbo boost, etc. You and the computer, one on one, on what amounts to a race track on top of a roller coaster. A track barely two car widths. Where momentum is your friend and foe and where hang time makes your crash all the more painful. Drive too fast into the banked turn and watch your car go flying off. Oh man, this game is going to kick much ass. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
[faint]

[thud]

[...]

OK, I've woken up :) Stunt Car is my all time favourite game. When I was at University in England my friends and I had three Amigas in the house we shared, and we played link-up Stunt Car almost every day for two years.

Same physics I hope, more tracks, more cars, higher frame rate... ooooh...

[faint]

[thud]

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Glad to see some more "Amigians" around here! :)

Too bad Commodore didn't market it right. Imagine a computer world dominated by the Amiga's operating system. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I almost forgot that you could link up and go head to head on this game. Well before it's time!

It's been sooo long. I'm trying to dig down into my memory (it's like drilling a cement block) to remember all the cool shit about this game.

Refresh it for me. Was there beginner tracks? How exactly did you advance in the game?

I can only remember bits and pieces of it. Like the holes that would pop out in the top of the frame of your racer as you took hard hits. Holes all the way across and you would be trashed. I remember just a few bits of the crazy tracks. Was there a screen that showed the layout of the track?

I should dust off my old Amiga (500 or 3000?), and see if I can find this gem buried somewhere in one of my boxes...

Oh yeah, if Geoff does in fact remake this game, I hope he doesn't toss any stupid "power ups" onto the tracks.

We need cool physics, killer tracks, great sound, Live support and new downloadable tracks every so often. :)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Stunt Car Racer had 8 tracks, divided into 4 leagues of 2 tracks each. Only two cars were on the track at any one time.

You progressed by winning races, and if you were at the top of the league when it was over, you progressed to the next one. Once you got past the last one, you entered the superleagues where your car was MUCH faster.

You had a certain amount of boost for each track, and the use of it was very strategic. As you took minor damage, a crack worked its way across the roll cage at the top of the screen. Major damage created holes which caused the crack to move much faster. Once it hit the end, game over.

The physics and track design were works of genius and in my opinion have not been equalled since. I've got the original sitting on a shelf in my office. It should be in a museum :)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Wow! Thanks for the cool pics Dave. It's been too long.

I remember; vaguely, the superleague. Weren't the tracks blue? I don't think I ever got far in that league. :laugh:

When you boosted, didn't flames come out the pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks