What's new

Help a student out... (recommendation please) (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Alright.. I know you're all probably tired of recommendation posts, but here's just one more.
I currently have a JVC XV521 that doesn't wanna play some of my disks. I've tried cleaning it and it hasn't helped. So as far as I know.. I'm in the market for a new DVD Player in the $200 range (Canadian...) My mom works at Sears too, so if you could recommend a brand Sears carries, even though that's pretty much everything.
Thanks in advance.
Andrew

DanaA

Screenwriter
Do you want progressive scan??? If so, the Toshiba 4800 might be pretty good. I have a 4700 in one of my rooms and, supposedly, it has the chroma bug, but I'm one of those that never seems to notice it. Panasonics have a great reputation and, right now, I use the Denon 1600 in my main room for viewing DVD's. It shares chips in common with the Panasonics and I really love it.

Also, think about what features you want. For example, the Toshiba has a nice zoom feature, which the Panasonics don't.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I forgot to mention. Progressive scan is not a necessity as I do not have or plan on purchasing an HDTV in the future. Format-wise, I don't plan on DVD-R, or MP3, etc., but it wouldn't hurt to be ready.
Right now I'm think the Panasonic RV32 unless someone can point me otherwise or give me good reason not to (I DO recall reading some posts about poor longevity).

Anyway, I appreciate the response. Thanks
Andrew

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, personally, I would not recommend Panny players for longevity, but then again, they seem to produce the best players PQ-wise amongst

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a Panny 5-disc CP72 (quality almost identical to the famous RP82). It plays DVD-Rs and mp3s. It is also progressive scan (the price difference these days is very little). I figure when I can afford my receiver (H/K 325) I can use it as a song jukebox. And when I get my Panny plasma some day I will appreciate the progressive scan. Some people have had problems with a flickering bug with this model of Panny, but mine is fine. It was $229 @ Crutchfield - 20 Mastercard discount link - $20 referral link - 30 plus some shipping. Ended up about $170?

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.. seems like it would be out of my pricerange when converted into CDN dollars.. but I'll definitely take a look.
Thanks again
Andrew

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Andrew, I have the Panny RP32 and it is a great dvd player. I even got one for my mother for Christmas for only $90. Great picture and it plays mp3s.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I think you can get the Toshiba SD1800 for about $150 right now, I'm pretty sure Sears carries them too. The Panny RP32 can be had for about $180 and same with the Sony DVP-NS315. Canadian dollars of course :D

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies. Those three mentioned in the last reply seem to be the where I'm headed, seeing as Sears will price match them.
Thanks again for all the replies.
Andrew

Benny G

Second Unit
I would highly recommend the JVC XV-SA600. It's on sale at www.vanns.com (authorized e-tailer) for $156 US.

I haven't checked this site for comparisons lately, but a couple months ago, people generally said, in comparison to Panny RP82, that the JVC had better build and user-friendliness, better audio, but not as good video. (note that I'm talking about the highly-regarded 82, not 32)

Marc H

Second Unit
For under $200.00 in Canada, the RV32 would be my recommendation. The RP62 if you want PS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks