Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help a student out... (recommendation please)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 01:44 PM

Alright.. I know you're all probably tired of recommendation posts, but here's just one more. I currently have a JVC XV521 that doesn't wanna play some of my disks. I've tried cleaning it and it hasn't helped. So as far as I know.. I'm in the market for a new DVD Player in the $200 range (Canadian...) My mom works at Sears too, so if you could recommend a brand Sears carries, even though that's pretty much everything. Thanks in advance. Andrew
-
Wish I had more money

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   DanaA

DanaA

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:07 PM

Do you want progressive scan??? If so, the Toshiba 4800 might be pretty good. I have a 4700 in one of my rooms and, supposedly, it has the chroma bug, but I'm one of those that never seems to notice it. Panasonics have a great reputation and, right now, I use the Denon 1600 in my main room for viewing DVD's. It shares chips in common with the Panasonics and I really love it. Also, think about what features you want. For example, the Toshiba has a nice zoom feature, which the Panasonics don't.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 02:36 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention. Progressive scan is not a necessity as I do not have or plan on purchasing an HDTV in the future. Format-wise, I don't plan on DVD-R, or MP3, etc., but it wouldn't hurt to be ready. Right now I'm think the Panasonic RV32 unless someone can point me otherwise or give me good reason not to (I DO recall reading some posts about poor longevity). Anyway, I appreciate the response. Thanks Andrew
-
Wish I had more money

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,875 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, personally, I would not recommend Panny players for longevity, but then again, they seem to produce the best players PQ-wise amongst <=$200 players. And since you don't need progressive scan, the cheapest Panny at <$100 is probably the way to go. Even if it dies after just one year, you can just buy another one. _Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:30 PM

I picked up a Panny 5-disc CP72 (quality almost identical to the famous RP82). It plays DVD-Rs and mp3s. It is also progressive scan (the price difference these days is very little). I figure when I can afford my receiver (H/K 325) I can use it as a song jukebox. And when I get my Panny plasma some day I will appreciate the progressive scan. Some people have had problems with a flickering bug with this model of Panny, but mine is fine. It was $229 @ Crutchfield - 20 Mastercard discount link - $20 referral link - 30 plus some shipping. Ended up about $170?
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.. seems like it would be out of my pricerange when converted into CDN dollars.. but I'll definitely take a look. Thanks again Andrew
-
Wish I had more money

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 05:29 PM

Andrew, I have the Panny RP32 and it is a great dvd player. I even got one for my mother for Christmas for only $90. Great picture and it plays mp3s.
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted April 08 2003 - 05:39 PM

I think you can get the Toshiba SD1800 for about $150 right now, I'm pretty sure Sears carries them too. The Panny RP32 can be had for about $180 and same with the Sony DVP-NS315. Canadian dollars of course Posted Image
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Those three mentioned in the last reply seem to be the where I'm headed, seeing as Sears will price match them. Thanks again for all the replies. Andrew
-
Wish I had more money

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Benny G

Benny G

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:35 AM

I would highly recommend the JVC XV-SA600. It's on sale at www.vanns.com (authorized e-tailer) for $156 US.

I haven't checked this site for comparisons lately, but a couple months ago, people generally said, in comparison to Panny RP82, that the JVC had better build and user-friendliness, better audio, but not as good video. (note that I'm talking about the highly-regarded 82, not 32)

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Marc H

Marc H

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 06:46 AM

For under $200.00 in Canada, the RV32 would be my recommendation. The RP62 if you want PS.
-----------
Marc Hallam
Audioshop
-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users